KernelEx 4.5.2

Ok, I have now installed KernelEx 4.5.2 beta 2.

Do I need to make anything else XP2 compatible? I have already made Firefox 2.0.0.20 XP2 compatible to enable me to install the latest Firefox version which I now have which is 3.6.4.

I have also noticed however if I am about to save something in a window, if I right click any folders in the window everything closes down, any reason for this?

i'm with a problem installing KernelEX 4.5 ß2, it needs Microsoft Layer for Unicode, i have downloaded it from another computer, and then, unziped to temp folder, then, started installation of kernelex. it does not find the Microsoft Layer for Unicode. The computer does not have a internet connection for downloaded it.

OS: MS-DOS 7.10 with Windows 98SE PT-BR + All Updates (installed from a CD) + Somes unnoficial updates + IE6 + WMP9.

i'm with a problem installing KernelEX 4.5 ß2, it needs Microsoft Layer for Unicode, i have downloaded it from another computer, and then, unziped to temp folder, then, started installation of kernelex. it does not find the Microsoft Layer for Unicode. The computer does not have a internet connection for downloaded it.

OS: MS-DOS 7.10 with Windows 98SE PT-BR + All Updates (installed from a CD) + Somes unnoficial updates + IE6 + WMP9.

Download unicows.exe and transfer that and run it on the PC and that will place unicows.dll into the C:\Windows\System folder or transfer the unzipped unicows.dll into that folder directly.

FF 3.6.4 does not work properly and it is a bad news. That's due to Google Chrome code used for OOPP and related features.

Good news: at current stage (3.6.4 / 3.7a6) it still can be worked around. The fix should be included into new KernelEx version.

Meanwhile, you can downgrade to FF 3.5.

There is no ETA for new KernelEx version yet.

Edited by Tihiy

Thanks, I had been reading that. Latest Flash will run which is cool and it would be cool if the latest Java plugin could run as well.

Btw, the problem I mentioned with the encode pointer and decode pointer stuf in the gstreamer files in Opera has been fixed by Opera themselves, I guess because HTML5 Audio/Video wasn't working on Win 2k which they still support.

I installed 4.5 beta 2.

I installed VLC player 1.1.0, with compatibility mode to XP SP2. The install seemed to work.

However, when I try to execute the program, nothing happens.

System: Win 98 SE SP 2.0

Hi fortcollins,

VLC 1.0.5 & 1.1.0 are NOT working. :no:

Last version I am using with KernelEx is 1.0.3

I tried VLC 1.0.3.

I got mp3 and mp4 audios to work, but so for I haven't got a single video to play. I have tried extensions .wmv, .ra, .rm., .mp4, .avi, .mov, .flv..

I get a variety of errors. Usually I get a page fault in oleaut32.dll, followed by R 6016 not enough space for thread data, followed by a page fault in kern32.dll.

A few times I the faults went into a loop and I had to ipl my system with the reset button.

I didn't find anything with these errors in the VideoLAN forum.

I tested on a machine with no internet connection. I just tried playing local files.

I tried VLC 1.0.3 ... I get a variety of errors.

Do you have KernelEx installed?

You need also MS Layer for Unicode 1.1.3790.0 (= unicows.dll) to be in %WINDIR%\SYSTEM (or at least in VLC folder).

If not, I think the last version to run in plain vanilla Win98 was 0.8.6i.

Edited by CharlesF

I tried VLC 1.0.3 ... I get a variety of errors.

Do you have KernelEx installed?

You need also MS Layer for Unicode 1.1.3790.0 (= unicows.dll) to be in %WINDIR%\SYSTEM (or at least in VLC folder).

Yes, I have KernelEx 4.5 beta 2.

Yes, I have unicode.dll 1.1.3790.0.

My oleaut32.dll is 2.40.4522. Multiple versions of this dll are floating around. I found several in instsallation CD ROMs I had on my hard drive. I think I got mine from mdgx at

http://www.msfn.org/board/newer-version-files-t98653.html

I tried changing my oleaut32.dll and got a symptom change. I replaced my 2.40.4522 oldaut32.dll with a much old version, 2.20.4118. Instead of getting a page fault in oleaut32.dll, I got a page fault in kernel32, followed by the R6016 not enough space for thread data, followed by a second page fault in kernel32.

I also verified that audio files continued to work with the earlier .dll file.

I think you need Oleaut.dll 2.40.4520.0, which is the one I have on my system and  I think is the one MDGx distributes, higher versions breaking things if I am not mistaken and 2.20 series are likely to be way too old.

VLC 1.1 seems to run fine under that setup  here besides the known problem it doesn't display texts in option dialogs, etc. I have only tested very briefly though,  just to see if I could play one of those webm video file and that was OK. 

My oleaut32.dll is 2.40.4522. Multiple versions of this dll are floating around. I found several in instsallation CD ROMs I had on my hard drive.

My version is 2.40.4520,

but I can't tell if it's coming from it

My version is 2.40.4520,

but I can't tell if it's coming from it

My version is 2.40.4518.

Besides, I also tried 2.40.4532 from Windows 2000. If I disable KernelEX, error messages appear when I use WMP9, IE6 and explorer.exe.

For unrelated reasons, I restored my Win 98 SE system from an image backup.

I downgraded my oleaut32.dll to 2.4o.4520 from

http://www.mdgx.com/add and http://www.mdgx.com/files/OLEUP.EXE

That appears to have worked without problem so far.

I reinstalled kernelex

I got a new set of symptoms.

For a couple of tests, vlc simply disappeared. I opened the file, and VLC shut down with no notice of any form.

However, for most of the tests, I got an illegal operation box with a page fault in kernel32.dll. Then when I closed the illegal operation box, I got another illegal operation box with a page fault in kernel32.dll. I was in a loop of illegal operation boxes with a page fault in kernel32.dll that I could not get out of except with the reset button. Ctrl-alt-delete and Start and shut down did not function.

I didn't have time to comprehensively check particular media types and their mode of failure.

It looks like the 2.40.4522 oleaut32.dll was bad. However, the problem remained that I could not get any videos to function, though audio ones did.

I have run into the problem of loops in crash boxes before.

I continue to wonder about the message, "The kexbasen.dll cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem" and what it is saying, see

VLC 1.1 seems to run fine under that setup  here besides the known problem it doesn't display texts in option dialogs, etc.

I installed VLC 1.1.0 to see if my changed oleaut32.dll made any difference with that version. Previously when I tried 1.1.0 it wouldn't start. I saw some disk activity but the window never appeared. See

When I tried it this time with the changed oleaut32.dll, I got the same result as I got before. I saw some disk and cpu activity but no program window and no messages.

However, for most of the tests, I got an illegal operation box with a page fault in kernel32.dll. Then when I closed the illegal operation box, I got another illegal operation box with a page fault in kernel32.dll. I was in a loop of illegal operation boxes with a page fault in kernel32.dll that I could not get out of except with the reset button. Ctrl-alt-delete and Start and shut down did not function.

I'm using VLC 1.0.3 portable occasionally (for some DVD that is not played with anything else). Sometimes I get an illegal operation box. I just don't close it - I move it beyond the edge of the screen, and VLC plays DVD OK with this box. Going to try VLC 1.1 soon.