KernelEx 4.5.2

Did you have to do anything special to get Seamonkey 2.0.4 to install? Does it work well and does Seamonkey 2 have the same problem with printing that Firefox 3.6 has? Thanks and good work on your part!

1st I had to set WinXP SP2 compatability to installation package, then install and finally set compatability for seamonkey.exe. Then I converted my profile from Seamonkey 1.1.19.

I didn't find any problems yet, browsing and emails seems to work. I don't print much often-not tested yet. GDI resources consumption seems to be same as with old Seamonkey.

I found a compatability problem with VirtualDUB, resp. with some its plugins that I use (e.g. FFVDUB.VDF, VDUBAUO.VDF, MP4InputDriver.vdplugin...) and Kernelex. Before I installed Kernelex it ran fine. Now VirtualDUB don't start (no error displayed, I see it only in task manager as a zombie process). I don't use global compatability I rather use individual. Enabling compatability for virtualdub.exe didn't help. When I uninstall Kernelex (ctlpanel/programs/remove) it started to work again. I also tried to downgrade to version 4.0 but the same. Even with old 0.3.6. If mentioned plugins are moved/renamed from plugins and plugins32 dir it starts. Here I made a small VirtualDUB 1.9.9 test package - please try someone else. I don't understand how Kernelex can affect other programs that don't have compatability set. Is there some similar issue with another program that sopped working after Kernelex installation?

I found a compatability problem with VirtualDUB, resp. with some its plugins that I use (e.g. FFVDUB.VDF, VDUBAUO.VDF, MP4InputDriver.vdplugin...) and Kernelex. Before I installed Kernelex it ran fine. Now VirtualDUB don't start (no error displayed, I see it only in task manager as a zombie process). I don't use global compatability I rather use individual. Enabling compatability for virtualdub.exe didn't help. When I uninstall Kernelex (ctlpanel/programs/remove) it started to work again. I also tried to downgrade to version 4.0 but the same. Even with old 0.3.6. If mentioned plugins are moved/renamed from plugins and plugins32 dir it starts. Here I made a small VirtualDUB 1.9.9 test package - please try someone else. I don't understand how Kernelex can affect other programs that don't have compatability set. Is there some similar issue with another program that sopped working after Kernelex installation?

I can start VirtualDUB 1.9.9 or 1.8.1 without problem.

When I installed KernelEX, I didn't apply KernelEX to every program.

I can start VirtualDUB 1.9.9 or 1.8.1 without problem.

When I installed KernelEX, I didn't apply KernelEX to every program.

And did you run my test package or from official site? There's no plugins in official download so it statr but with that plugins don't.

And did you run my test package or from official site? There's no plugins in official download so it statr but with that plugins don't.

I've tested again and VirtualDUB crashes when those plugins exist. Besides, if you enable KernelEX, VirtualDUB starts with Ffvdub.vdf and MP4InputDriver.vdplugin, but not Vdubauo.vdf.

I've tested again and VirtualDUB crashes when those plugins exist. Besides, if you enable KernelEX, VirtualDUB starts with Ffvdub.vdf and MP4InputDriver.vdplugin, but not Vdubauo.vdf.

Interesting. When I set compatability for virtualdub.exe it didn't die silently but display some error message that Virtualdub crashed and I can take error log and close it. But if you try to uninstall kernelex you will see that it start with all plugins. And this seems to me a bug - affect programs that doesn't have compatability set.

Edited by xrayer

Can KernelEx be used to allow NT4.0 File Manager (Winfile.exe, 32-bit, LFNs compliant) to run under Win98SE? If so, are there any special steps that must be done?

lelandaust

no, lelandaust! Running NT4 File Manager under 98se/ME WITH KernelEx installed results in error message "The WINFILE.EXE file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:StrChrW". I've checked this myself and confirmed it.

Looks like KernelEx will need to be updated to include StrChrW function for SHELL32.DLL file, which the Win98/ME versions do NOT have (AND KernelEx will need to "patch" 98se/ME's shell32.dll file to make that possible).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can KernelEx be used to allow NT4.0 File Manager (Winfile.exe, 32-bit, LFNs compliant) to run under Win98SE? If so, are there any special steps that must be done?

lelandaust

no, lelandaust! Running NT4 File Manager under 98se/ME WITH KernelEx installed results in error message "The WINFILE.EXE file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:StrChrW". I've checked this myself and confirmed it.

Looks like KernelEx will need to be updated to include StrChrW function for SHELL32.DLL file, which the Win98/ME versions do NOT have (AND KernelEx will need to "patch" 98se/ME's shell32.dll file to make that possible).

OK. Thanks, erpdude8. I had gotten the same error message, but presumed that I had done something wrong. Making NT4 file manager run in Win98se would be great, but it may be more trouble than it is worth, if Shell32.dll has to be patched.

Lelandaust

There is a known problem that despite disabling KernelEx extensions still two things are enabled (hardwired) when KernelEx is installed. These are platform version check in PE executables and resource number limit check. Until your report this hasn't proved to have any ill effects. In your case those plugins won't be loaded by a stock system so VDub won't hang when KernelEx is not installed.

I will change it so that these checks work normally when extensions are disabled in a subsequent release.

I'm just curious, from a technical standpoint...why can't KernelEx work on Win 95? Is it a technical limitation (I know the platforms are quite similar) or an artificial one?

Technically it could work on Windows 95. But the choice was made to use 98 based on two factors: 1) it has more implemented functions than 95 and 2) I use this system myself :yes: .

Making it work on 95 would require someone to port it.

Any volunteers? :sneaky:

When I try to install the 4.5 beta 2 I get a "Setupkex has caused an error in SETUPKEX.EXE".

I'm running Windows ME if that helps.

Will it help you if I tell you that it works perfectly for me?

Please write if it is a patched system, what other extensions from this forum you use, what language it is, etc. And it would be *very* useful if you could provide Dr.Watson log. Also check if 4.0 final 2 works for you.

Otherwise I can't help you, sorry.

Any news about a new version of KernelEx?

New version won't be released at least until next month because I'm *very* busy right now and have no time for KernelEx.

Next version will include the following changes:

* fixed GTA: San Andreas crash

* working latest Flash Player Plugin 10.1

* platform version check and resource limit check re-enabled when KernelEx extensions are disabled

* fixed compatibility problem with VDub reported by xrayer

* ... more to come ...

Will it help you if I tell you that it works perfectly for me?

Please write if it is a patched system, what other extensions from this forum you use, what language it is, etc. And it would be *very* useful if you could provide Dr.Watson log. Also check if 4.0 final 2 works for you.

Otherwise I can't help you, sorry.

4.0 Final 2 works. The system is English and unpatched I believe, and no other extensions used yet.

Watson log attached.

WATSON.txt

Edited by lightkun3