KernelEx 4.5.2

KernelEx 4.0 Final2: Can NOT install this version

I can not install version 4.0 Final2 on my box.

O/S: Windows 98SE Russian.

4.0 RC2, and 4.0 Final can be installed without any problem.

I tried to uninstall them and then make clean install of 4.0 Final2 - no success. I tried to install 4.0 Final2 "above" them - no success also. Please see the attachment to my message containing screenshot of the installer error message.

(Please note, that during installation of 4.0 RC2 and 4.0 Final I also did not see any c:/windows/KernelEx/kernel32.bak).

PS: Creating c:/windows/KernelEx/kernel32.bak before installation of Final2 did not help.

This is the punishment for using unofficial Add/Remove applets.

Kernel32.bak is a backup of kernel32.dll created during KernelEx installation. Normally it is reverted during reboot after uninstall.

Tihiy's Add/Remove applet deletes whole KernelEx directory before the file had a chance to be restored.

The dialog tells you what to do.

kernel32.bak has been used even before RC1 was released...

Now i want to present a solution for the problem with Flash Player 10 plugin for Firefox 2 or 3 on Win98SE. [...] Well I use the flash9 plugin, but with replaced version information from flash10 (10.0.32.18 or so). I don't even know who am I cheating by doing that - the the browser, the OS, or may be the server.

Would you be so kind and let us know what the problem is?

Flash 10 doesn't work with Firefox 2 when it doesn't have "Windows XP" compatibility setting? Is that the problem you're mentioning? In that case you might try this registry script:

REGEDIT 4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\AppSettings\Configs]
"*\\NPSWF.DLL"="WINXP"

You can even cheat earlier Flash to accept Flash 10 animations that way but that won't make it support elements introduced in Flash 10 so don't be surprised when you see missing elements or errors in animations.

Probably not, at least not by kex.

That would be another project for someone who was willing to change some of the architechture of the kernel.

As for drivers I wouldn't risk it as it may cause more problems than its worth.

What is it with people wanting to install things 'by hand'? this is kernal patching and requires files to be replaced in dos etc, Be thankfull to Xeno for making it as easy as a click.

Trev

Hello Xeno,

I tried to install VMware workstation 6.5.3-185404 trial (just to extract the VMw toolkit packaged with it) under

Windows98SE (spanish) 4.10.2222A with KerneEX Final2 core 4.0.102 in a VMware player VM, I had to use the compatibility tab to set it to W2K or XP for running the installer

but It shows this message:

vmwrk.jpg

It says there is not enough free space, but there are 3Gb+ free in the emulated disk!

perhaps some disk-checking mechanism is missing to implent.

Best Regards!

Juan

Please bear in mind that KernelEX is only adding some APIs (in other words sort of commands used in programs calling functions in dll's.), and only from kernel32.dll.

There are about 700 commonly used API's, perhaps thousands in all, and Xeno86 can only do one at a time. :whistle:

Drivers should be written from scratch and can't rely on random work arounds. However drivers are not so much API dependent but more dependant on hardware architecture, the way the driver interract with the OS. etc

About multi cpu, it has been established that it's almost irrealisable.

These two issues are way beyond the control of kernelEX.

Could this possibly allow me to run the Quicklink Mobile software for two usb modems I use? (Pantech UM150, and UM175)

The dlls complain about needing a newer version of Windows, and this is after manually installing the software and drivers. I looked the software up in Dependancy Walker, but with the exception of the errors reported in the lower pane, I have no idea what this stuff is all about. :blushing:

I have installed Sketup 5 Beta. If I used it the Program crashed every time.

Program message: Create File failed for C:\windows\Temp\skpB154.TMP

Sketchup 6 can not installed.

Have anyone installed Sketchup 5 and can work with this program ? :blink:

I could run the latest SketchUp 7.1 with KernelEx v 4.0 Final 2. Here is how I installed it

1. Decompress GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe

2. Edit GoogleSketchUp7.msi with Orca, delete "VersionNT>=501" in LaunchCondition

3. Run GoogleSketchUp7.msi. During installation there was a warning "Could not write value SketchUpModule to a key". I just ignored it

When running SketchUp the first time, I encountered "Create File failed for C:\windows\Temp\skpB154.TMP" too. Also the toolbars are corrupted. However these problems did not affect the functioning of the program

Would you be so kind and let us know what the problem is?

The problems is that Firefox (2 or 3 it doesn't matter, as I can see) crushes almost anytime just at the moment of showing flash. In some rear cases firefox shows warning message that not everything about the flash is ok, but I can surf; next time when I open a page - guess what - crushes again. I have tried different things and tricks all day but

no satisfactory result at all. Then merciful God give me an idea how to manage with this nasty flash player. Ad/Banners - I block them using firewall. Video clips are OK.

I tried Flash 10.0.22.87 and Firefox 2&3 & Netscape & Opera9&10.

-----Close/Details messages-------

====Firefox2-compatibility XPSP2-Kernelex enabled====

FIREFOX caused an invalid page fault in module NPSWF32.DLL at 019f:10141d35.

Registers:

EAX=00000004 CS=019f EIP=10141d35 EFLGS=00210246

EBX=00000000 SS=01a7 ESP=00daec34 EBP=0000001f

ECX=dd0833d0 DS=01a7 ESI=036d42e0 FS=0eb7

EDX=00010000 ES=01a7 EDI=036c2000 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

ff 75 78 8b ce ff 75 7c 57 e8 33 02 fe ff 8b f0

Stack dump:

00000004 00000001 036c2000 00000600 8bde8446 00000020 00000002 02e1618c 841775b4 0000000f 00000005 006550a6 00daec88 60371800 02d89b98 60371810

====Firefox2-compatibility-none-Kernelex enabled======

(the same as above)

====Firefox2-Kernelex disabled======

no crush, but flash in the page is missing

2. Edit GoogleSketchUp7.msi with Orca, delete "VersionNT>=501" in LaunchCondition

3. Run GoogleSketchUp7.msi. During installation there was a warning "Could not write value SketchUpModule to a key". I just ignored it

When running SketchUp the first time, I encountered "Create File failed for C:\windows\Temp\skpB154.TMP" too. Also the toolbars are corrupted. However these problems did not affect the functioning of the program

slhk are you using MSInstaller version2 with this MSI file?

Could this possibly allow me to run the Quicklink Mobile software for two usb modems I use? (Pantech UM150, and UM175)

The dlls complain about needing a newer version of Windows, and this is after manually installing the software and drivers. I looked the software up in Dependancy Walker, but with the exception of the errors reported in the lower pane, I have no idea what this stuff is all about. :blushing:

KernelX doesn't fix drivers. The software runs or don't run with KernelX on a random basis.

Unfortunately.

slhk are you using MSInstaller version2 with this MSI file?

Yes, I have Windows Installer 2.0 installed in my system