KernelEx 4.5.2

Here tsukuyomi must be put in 2K mode to work and the open/save works just fine.

Comdlg32 5.50.4134.100 (I don't know if this one would work on your system)

Windows ME with IE5.5 SP2 here btw.

Comdlg32 5.50.4134.100 (I don't know if this one would work on your system)

dependency walker profile for that comdlg32 look intimidating with its red-marks, it seems the only way to use that version comdlg32.dll on my win98SE system, was via 98SE2ME - Option #3 (which i haven't use, yet)

oh well, here we go...

and, you're right, now many of those apps that previosly wont cough its file-dialog, now works. :thumbup

thanks for the advice.

so, its really was comdlg32.dll problem, those who have similar problem (as current kernelex compatibilty database cited), could try this too.

UPDATE:

using newer kernelex (v4.0 Final by Xeno86 - 2009-07-23) also solve this problem without have to go thru shell replacement.

thanks to Xeno86.

Edited by Joseph_sw

Finally after 4 months from last release presenting...

KernelEx v4.0 Final

Now working on Windows 98/Me:

* Flash 10 in Internet Explorer

Major changes:

* added option to installer to select between enabling KernelEx extensions for all applications and disabling them

* added installation verifier

* printer driver software no longer running in NT mode

* file select dialogs in Flash applets and certain applications should work correctly now

* improved RP9 compatibility

* loading MSLU altered floating point unit flags and caused certain programs to crash

* MSLU (Unicows.dll) is no longer loaded right on startup and should be seen referenced less often in system

* Dependency Walker is no longer slow when profiling

* startup speed improvements

* stability improvements

* tons of small changes

Detailed technical changelog is bundled with sources.

This release is supposed to be a stabilization for KernelEx 4.0 series.

Expect thrilling new features and more compatible applications with KernelEx 4.1 series. :hello:

Interesting! Lots of people will be excited. ;)

One minor detail (and this goes for every other project around): please, don't call'em "Final", this word has terrible implications for us 9x users, exiled from the computing realms. Rather use "Stable" or something more... optimistic, if I may say so. :rolleyes:

I'll try to test but it's gonna be very limited since my system lately is showing weird signs of failure on boot so I try to keep one session up for as long as possible. :(

Fantastic news!

Xeno, (of course Tihiy too) thank you so much guys for your hard work and devotion! :thumbup

I've tested (shortly) latest version and indeed crashes (not hard) of some programs are vanished!

Still I have problem with Chinese/Japanese characters (Firefox 3.5.1) - I had it with previous versions of KerneEx too.

My configuration:

1. Win98 SE

2. KernelEx 4.0 Final

3. Firefox 3.5.1

4. characters are not displayed correctly

Edited by rainyd

1. Operating system version – is it Windows 98 Gold (aka First Edition), Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium?

2. KernelEx version - as displayed at the bottom of the Compatibility tab or in Add/Remove Programs tab

3. Program vendor, program name and program version.

4. Description of the problem.

5. Exact steps required to reproduce the problem - what to click and what to press after the program starts

6. Did the program work prior to installing KernelEx? Does disabling KernelEx in compatibility tab fix the problem? - important to classify the category of the bug.

Problem:

1. Windows 98SE

2. KernelEx 4.0 Final

3. Adobe Flash Player 10

4. Refuses to install, says incorrect operating system

Notes: I did create xp.reg with the following contents:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

"CurrentVersion"="5.1"

And it did not help remedy the situation.

:thumbup and the last VLC media player 1.0.0 from Videolan work with this version :yes:

(it dosn't work with the previous versions of KernelEx)

Yes, I can confirm that too.

Xeno, Tihiy, I'm even more impressed guys! :thumbup

Report #1

1. OS: Windows98Se

2. KExVER: v4.0.100

3. Program: RealVNC

4. Desc: WinVNC4 runtime terminates in an unusual way

5. Steps: Have WinVNC4 (RealVnc) startup in Service Mode

6. Worked: Worked fine up until the listed KernelEx version. Also works without KernelEx.

Report #2

1. OS: Windows98Se

2. KExVER: v4.0.100

3. Program: Trillian Astra

4. Desc: Incorrect Directory Path locations referenced and no Sound

5. Steps: Install and Run Trillian Astra, data will be saved in trillians own folder rather than %windir%/application data/trillian. Additionally, sounds will not work at all whatsoever.

6. Worked: Requires KernelEx to function, however, it functioned fine during KEx4 Release 1. Further releases (#2 & final) require a modification to CORE.ini to function correctly. Changing 'KERNEL32.GetVersionExW' under '[WINME.names]' to 'Std' and setting Astra to WINME compatibility mode corrects the issue.

No idea if this is deliberate nonfunctionality or just a sideffect of KernelEx changes in the code. Just bringing it up as it was also related to a previous version. In other news, this version of KernelEx has fixed the issues involving changing avatar and accepting incoming files in Trillian Astra, which is a big step up and fix to once an ever annoying problem previously.

Edited by Chozo4

I just cannot believe my eyes ... :ph34r:

- Lingoes runs now (need to copy mfc42u.dll from somewhere)

- SketchUp 7 is usable and can save now. Toolbar is corrupted but functional. Hope this will be fixed in future KernelEx release

Xeno86 & Tihiy, you guys are great! :thumbup

I'm using Win98SE and installed KernelEx 4.0 Final with the Recommended setting of enabling all applications. Upon reboot, the Explorer crashed. Should I select not to enable all application or should I disable Explorer from using KernelEx? I didn't encounter such behavior for the previous RC2.

My only way out is to reboot in Safemode and remove 4.0 Final. Please kindly advise, thanks.

Xeno86 & Tihiy

Thank you for Making Windows 4.×× [non NT] awesome again! :thumbup

Seriously you guys extended the lifetime and usability of my 1st OS, Windows Me.

VLC 1.0 works on Windows Me and this is too good to be true! :w00t:

These newer programs run more efficiently than their older 9×/Me compatible versions

ex. Firefox 2.0.0.20

Windows Me's technology dates back to Interface Manager (before 1983, Windows 1.0)

basically 1981 and the early 1980s, and it can run the newest and oldest programs for the IBM PC compatible computers.

Years that Windows 4.×× can span

1981 [1st DOS] - 2009

XP cannot do that [DOS GAMES]

This is truly the best thing that ever happened to Windows 4.×× family!!!! :yes:

also

how did you get inkscape to work?