KernelEx 4.5.2

The excellent Ghostery add-on works fine with both Firefox 8 and Opera 12.02. A must have for those who do not want Facebook, Google and others to track their every moves on the internet IMO.

Of course I am using Firefox 3.6.22 - no newer version works with Win98SE.

Skip ahead a few versions ... FF 8 and 9 work fine (except as I noted above) with the help of KernelEx 4.5.2 (in fact, if I recall, so do versions 7, 6 and maybe even 5).

Joe.

Edited by jds

Skip ahead a few versions ... FF 8 and 9 work fine (except as I noted above) with the help of KernelEx 4.5.2 (in fact, if I recall, so do versions 7, 6 and maybe even 5).

Joe.

Does their browser history and bookmarking work in Win98SE? A browser without that is completely useless!

Joe.

Does their browser history and bookmarking work in Win98SE? A browser without that is completely useless!

See this post (and perhaps others in this topic) :

BTW, I also noticed your comment on Opera. As someone that also once detested Opera, I must say that Opera today (eg. 12.02) is wonderful (eg. I love the magnification feature).

Joe.

what opera 12.02 works is kernelex 4.5.2??

...without errors and failures?

Opera 12.02 works fine on Windows 98SE (and I assume Windows ME) using KernelEx.

There are a few anomalies, for instance you can't drag bookmarks around on the personal bar to re-order them as you should be able to do, but they are mainly cosmetic.

:)

• 1 month later...

Is this project still in development? I see it's apparently also meant for games. Well, in Unreal Tournament (the first one) ACE developers were smart enough to deprecate pre-2000 support, effectively blocking all of those systems from online play since most servers run this engine. Well, I tried KernelEx 2000 mode on 98SE and the game simply crashes on startup. It works with 98SE mode though, but I doubt this will help anything. Also, I'm running the game through the Glide API, which was still supported on 2000.

It's perhaps futile, but I guess it's worth noting here that a contemporary Win98 game does not work with KernelEx :)

Also another question... this application doesn't make any permanent changes to system files, right?

Edited by utplayer

It's perhaps futile, but I guess it's worth noting here that a contemporary Win98 game does not work with KernelEx :)

According to the rest of what you wrote this is a completely inaccurate generalization. Your game only crashes when you put it in 2K mode and vanilla 98SE apps are certainly not meant to be run in specific NT or higher compatibility modes.

According to the rest of what you wrote this is a completely inaccurate generalization. Your game only crashes when you put it in 2K mode and vanilla 98SE apps are certainly not meant to be run in specific NT or higher compatibility modes.

Depends on what you mean by "vanilla 98SE apps". Epic always listed NT4 as working for this game.

Depends on what you mean by "vanilla 98SE apps". Epic always listed NT4 as working for this game.

Yes but, since the game has native win98SE support, it sets up its installed files for win98SE mode. If you simply must have it run in win2K mode, you mite try the registry fix noted earlier in this thread, so when you install the game it reads your system as win2K from the registry and installs for win2K. Then it may work(?) with the KernalEX win2K mode enabled.

• 1 month later...

QtWeb 3.8.4 browser starts at Windows 2000 compatibility mode. But it crashes when I connect to the Internet.

In Windows 2000 SP4, QtWeb 3.8.4 requires API wrapper file (kernel32 in OCW or KDW) to work.

QtWeb 3.8.4 browser starts at Windows 2000 compatibility mode. But it crashes when I connect to the Internet.

In Windows 2000 SP4, QtWeb 3.8.4 requires API wrapper file (kernel32 in OCW or KDW) to work.

It works, if you disable JavaScript. Also I tried older versions. Versions 3.5 and 3.7 give a message: "The scipt on this page appears to have a problem. Do you want to stop the script?" Version 3.2 seem to work fine. I didn't try every version.

It works, if you disable JavaScript. Also I tried older versions. Versions 3.5 and 3.7 give a message: "The scipt on this page appears to have a problem. Do you want to stop the script?"  Version 3.2 seem to work fine. I didn't try every version.

Hallo halohalo,

What issues you have found? Do you have the JavaScript problem with versions 3.3 up to 3.7, too? Are you able to print? 

Hallo halohalo,

What issues you have found? Do you have the JavaScript problem with versions 3.3 up to 3.7, too? Are you able to print? 

I got same JavaScript error with 3.7.x.

QtWeb can't display Korean, Japanese or Chinese, and it shuts down when I try printing.