KernelEx 4.5.2

I just wanted to thank the all of contributors for the info I got from this site. I found someone who had an old Presario that they hadn't even powered up in years and they were just going to toss it in the trash. Well I'm just a little too frugal for that, but I didn't want a boat anchor ME OS, so I did a little research and found Kernelex..... WOW. With an $13 investment I brought the RAM up to 640 (not bad for an old machine) and $12 for a wireless adapter, I have turned this once dust covered PC into a very capable browser. With Kernelex I can fly Opera 11.64 and Firefox 8.0. I was able to load Flash 11 and Reader 6 Since it didn't cost me much I've thrown caution to the wind and and have loaded up a ton of freeware. This machine now rivals my XP station and all for a $25 investment. So once again my big thanxxx for the folks who created Kernelex and the contributors to this forum who supplied invaluable input. The only problem I'm still having is getting my HP Office Jet K60 printer running (the HP web site is less than helpful), I have down loaded every driver I could find and tried every method of installing them with no success...............any input????

Welcome to MSFN, roscoegrable. :)

While KernelEx might be able to help with driver installers, it doesn't help with the drivers themselves. Since your printer problem isn't KernelEx-related (yet), I suggest starting a new topic in the Windows 9x / ME subforum.

You should also look here first for a good idea from jds that might work for you.

Confirmed: The method of the Kext topic post 58 fails for the new versions 2.2 and 2.2.1. The other method of (topic) Printing with KernelEX - post 27 is still working for me (tested for single app).

Yesterday I took a look at that 24Mar2012 version of ComDlgEx.dll and think I know what is going on--that SumatraPDF 2.2 is now passing real unicode strings to PrintDlgExW instead of multibyte strings.

The 24Mar2012 version of ComDlgEx is actually the best in that it has real Unicode support for PrintDlgExW. But it didn't work with KernelEx via Kexstubs because of the way KernelEx uses Unicows. So the ComDlgKx.dll is dumbed down slightly to work with KernelEx and doesn't work with what S'PDF2.2+ is now doing.

Fortunately I've learned a lot since last March. I should now be able to produce a better ComDlg32 wrapper that will work both stand-alone and with Kexstubs along the lines of the IpHlpApi wrapper I've been working on recently. I'll post an update in Printing with KernelEx 4.5.1 when I can.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just thought Id point out that WMP can be run in XP mode allowing the UI colour to be changed, Volume and position to be changed in fullscreen.

http://fgfc.dyndns-free.com/WMP_98_XP.jpg

just change wmp.dll to xp in KEX.

Current Config : Win98se, Autopatcher, 98-me, RP9, kex, kexex

Trev

P.S. I posted a long time ago I got uPnP working on 98 - with systray icon and balloon, however I cant seem to get it this time round...

• 2 weeks later...

New version (11.5.502.146) of Flash Player for non-IE browsers is still OK with Win98 SE+KeX 4.5.2.

How do you run the installer? I've tried 2000sp4 and xpsp2. I'm using Flash player 11.1. I get runtime error "pure virtual function call" in Viusal C++ library - it's 2005 sp1

New version (11.5.502.146) of Flash Player for non-IE browsers is still OK with Win98 SE+KeX 4.5.2.

How do you run the installer? I've tried 2000sp4 and xpsp2. I'm using Flash player 11.1. I get runtime error "pure virtual function call" in Viusal C++ library - it's 2005 sp1

The latest Flash plugin version is now 11.6.602.168 I believe.

:)

The exe installer works up to version 11.1.102.63. See KernelEX Wiki. There are two possibilities for the later versions.

You can't use exe installer - try msi version instead from here.

Yes, it's true - it works without problem (non-IE version).

Edited by rainyd

You can't use exe installer - try msi version instead from here.

Yes, it's true - it works without problem (non-IE version).

Thank you rainyd, FP 11.6 msi worked. At first it said "error starting program-missing winhttp.dll" . On Youtube would just show black screen. I found the FP files on HD and set them to XPSP2 mode and then it worked flawlessly. I then changed them all back to "default" one at a time to see which one, and it still works.

Great job with the docs, thank you! :thumbup

I read through and there's a couple of things that might need further clarification:

1. What exactly should the msvc6chk tool do? People who already have an old VC6 installation with multiple modifications might have problems if headers get changed, possibly adding duplicate definitions or whatever. But first, where is it? Can't find it in the sources, nor is it anywhere on my HDD (VC6/PSDK included).

2. Note 2 says: "To execute sdbcreate project and create SDB database you need Windows Vista or later. " What about those that can only access Win98/ME/XP machines? Is the SDB database/project mandatory for KernelEx?

Now, I've tried to build again. Everything went fine except for a couple of warnings.

building kexbasen.dll:
D:\free\KernelEx\apilibs\kexbasen\kernel32\jemalloc/jemalloc.c(239) : warning C4163: '_BitScanForward' : not available as an intrinsic function

building auxiliary:
psapi.c(53) : warning C4273: 'GetProcessId' : inconsistent dll linkage. dllexport assumed.

However, the NSIS installer (I used 2.46, latest at the time of writing this) errors out at line 335 - I assume it has to do with the sdbcreate file that cannot be found, because the tool wouldn't run on 98SE. What can we do in this situation?

> 1. What exactly should the msvc6chk tool do? ... But first, where is it? Can't find it in the sources, nor is it anywhere on my HDD (VC6/PSDK included).

It's here in the KernelEx.SVN. I don't know why it's not in the source package along with the rest of what's in the SVN.

2. Note 2 says: "To execute sdbcreate project and create SDB database you need Windows Vista or later. " What about those that can only access Win98/ME/XP machines?

Maybe we can use Kexstubs to get it to run under Win9x. It comes as source that gets built along with the rest of the KernelEx project, so I don't have the executable to analyze.

Ah thanks, I forgot to check the SVN (not that I'm very fond of scouring through folders and files anyway).

The sdbcreate executable compiles fine under my 98SE but at runtime it throws an error reporting missing export NtOpenFile in NTDLL.DLL (which is probably forwarded to the kernel), called from APPHELP.DLL. The only dependencies of sdbcreate.exe are SHLWAPI.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL and APPHELP.DLL and the first two seem to be fulfilled, at least apparently.

My version of APPHELP.DLL is the one from XP-SP1 (5.1.2600.1106) - dunno if it's suposed to work in 9x or how I ended up with it (I do add/replace many system files manually when something seems to be missing). There is no such file on the Win98SE or ME CD.

Here's the sdbcreate I built earlier today: download