KernelEx 4.5.2

I myself am using Opera 12.02. :yes:

Can I ask what happens differently when this plugin wrapper that you have been talking about if/is introduced and how it would affect us 98 users.

The wrapper was introduced in Opera 12.00, supposedly to make the browser more stable by preventing crashing plugins from bringing down the whole browser.

It's a separate executable in its own sub-folder within the Opera folder.

There was a lot of adverse feedback on the Opera forums about it, especially relating to multiple copies running with excessive use of resources.

This is why they have decided to temporarily remove it (the stated reason is stability problems, not excessive resource use, but most seem to think that's the real problem!)

The trouble with Windows 98 is that the plugin wrapper program won't run under Windows 98, causing a crash in user.exe.

There seems to be no way around this, all you can do is close the program after it crashes.

Opera will then run OK, but with no plugin support.

I've never had the plugin wrapper freeze or crash the whole operating system, I've always just been able to dismiss the crash message and carry on, but others have had worse problems with it.

:no:

Edited by Dave-H

Dave-H

Oh right, thanks for explaining all that to me.

As said on here if they do introduce the wrapper in the next version of Opera then we would need the option to disable it, so I can understand why now.

Seems like it was probably a spam bot.

Cheers and Regards

Nope no bot, just little old me.

Ah well, I guess there was a weirdness in the site, I got an e-mail said thread updated. I clicked the link and it popped up the first post and I clicked on the KernalEX Sourceforge page. I didn't notice the date and I downloaded the "new" version not realizing it was not a "new" version.

But still I say Thanks Xeno86! :thumbup

Its still a great "Free" app and Has saved me a lot of money. :thumbup:thumbup

Besides it was a good trip to Sourceforge, I saw an app I haven't tried yet, Media player Classic HC.

• 1 month later...

I'm keeping my old 98SE system for many reasons. Before I installed KernelEx I bullet proofed

my system. Make sure you can quickly restore from a backup, mount a virtual partition, etc.

You can damage any of these Windows systems in microseconds. Don't ever forget that!

After installing KernelEx I downloaded Firefox 10.0.2 because it was on the list of working

apps. The properties tab had XP SP2 selected, which seemed logical to me. The extractor

reaches 95-to-98%. After that the process stops. The task manager shows "not responding."

I also tried Firefox 8.0, because it was in the release notes for KernelEx 4.5.2. Same problem.

I think I tried every system on the properties tab, starting with 2000. I also tried the default

setting with KernelEx enabled. The extraction always freezes up. Is there a solution?

Thanks guys.

I'm keeping my old 98SE system for many reasons. Before I installed KernelEx I bullet proofed

my system. Make sure you can quickly restore from a backup, mount a virtual partition, etc.

You can damage any of these Windows systems in microseconds. Don't ever forget that!

After installing KernelEx I downloaded Firefox 10.0.2 because it was on the list of working

apps. The properties tab had XP SP2 selected, which seemed logical to me. The extractor

reaches 95-to-98%. After that the process stops. The task manager shows "not responding."

I also tried Firefox 8.0, because it was in the release notes for KernelEx 4.5.2. Same problem.

I think I tried every system on the properties tab, starting with 2000. I also tried the default

setting with KernelEx enabled. The extraction always freezes up. Is there a solution?

Thanks guys.

You say you " bullet proofed my system." this by any chance be running an active antivirus/firewall app that prevents installation of virus, trojan, etc.?

If so the app mite be keeping you from installing Firefox.

Another option you mite try is to shut off any background/tray apps you may have running.

Anyway Just a couple of ideas.

You really should provide more details on your system and software you have loaded when asking these kinds of questions as the more info the easier it is to know what happening on your system and how to help you.

This copy of 98SE is running on a IBM ThinkPad. Very few processes run in the background.

I backup to a usb stick or removable hard drive. A virtual partition or "sandbox" can

be used as a protected environment where you can test files or new software without

harming your system. That's all I was trying to say.

Only critical system processes run in the background during the installation of new

software. They have never caused problems during an install.

The problem is more serious than I thought. When I couldn't install Firefox I downloaded

UniExtract. I was hoping to extract the files manually, and then proceed with the Firefox

install. The problem is UniExtract won't install either! It seems that KernelEx is reacting

poorly with one or more of my system files. At least, I think that might be the problem.

Unless a KernelEx expert can help me, I won't be using this amazing application. It's

kind of sad that I can't extend the usefulness of this old system with KernelEx. I've

been using computers for decades. Finding the cause of a problem that has not been

reported by others is almost impossible.

HoppaLong,

I've not tried FF 10, because I've read reports of it not working readily/satisfactorily. However, FF 8 and 9 work very well under KernelEx, except the "new style" Java plugin which can't be made to work. All you have to do is install KernelEx with default settings and then run the FF installer in W2000 (not XP!) compatibility mode. Easy.

I should point out that although FF 8 and 9 performance on my (now decommissioned) P2/333 machine was good, for some reason they were completely unusable on my Celeron-A/466 laptop (had to revert to FF 3.5), no idea why.

As for UniExtract, it's a piece of cr*p, even if you get it working, some time later it will break for no apparent reason, just use it as a collection of extraction tools.

Joe.

Hello Joe,

Please read my original post again.

After FF 10 failed to extract, I tried FF 8 because it was listed in the KernelEx release notes as

"working" with FF 8. I tried every system in the properties tab, starting with 2000. FF 8 also

failed to extract.

It seems that most folks are not having significant problems with KernelEx. For some reason,

my system cannot install anything with KernelEx enabled. In the past, I've fixed problems that

seemed to be unique to my system. It can take hours, days, sometimes weeks before you find

that one file causing all the trouble.

Just to be clear, this copy of 98SE runs smoothly. There were no problems before installing

KernelEx. That's why I keep multiple backups.

I am still running Firefox 3.6.22 on KernelEx 4.5.101, because it was reported to be the last fully compatible browser (laters apparently lack bookmark saving etc., which would be undemandable for me). However FF 3.6.22 runs very slow and particularly often makes a nap (freezes) for 30..60 seconds. On my analogue modem (44 kpbs) this wastes phone fees, so I have just ordered DSL 16000 (service not enabled yet).

- Has anybody here positive experience with newer Firefox versions?

- Does KEX 4.5.2 still make trouble with antivirus software?

I still use Avast 4.8(?) which updates terribly slow now (waits 10 minute etc.). Is there anything better for Win98SE?

Hello there. I have Kernelex 4.5.2 installed on window 98se with avast 4.8 which updates normal. You still seem to use a analoge modem

which is very slow. Important is to remove the temporary files you could use ccleaner for that which you can download at majorgeeks.com

for instance. See the section diskcleaner. Well avast 4.8 does not make trouble with kerlnelex 4.5.2. Another thing you should do is to

defragment your system regularly. Probably there is also spy ware on your system. You should check your system with for instance spybot -

search and destroy. And you should also check your system with avast.

@HoppaLong:

If your ThinkPad's CPU is a P3 P4 or later, http://mirror.palemoon.org/archived/8.x/Portable/Palemoon-Portable-8.0.exe is an optimized, portable build of FireFox 8 (7zip self-extractor).

Edit: Last build of Palemoon to support the P3 (and other SSE processors without SSE2 support) was roughly 3.6.9. (reference)

Edited by jumper

Thank you jumper!

I've got all the original documentation for this ThinkPad. The processor is a P3.

7zip is a great app. I've got it installed on another desktop. For some reason

a self-extracting copy of FireFox never crossed my mind. Good idea. I'll download

the file and try it.