Replace Files in use and unlock files

Tripo

Reboot to plain DOS (hold F8 while booting) and replace the files. It's good practice to keep backup copies in case anything goes wrong.

If there's too many files to replace manually:

- create a folder in the root drive (say C:\newfiles)

- create another folder for backups (say C:\backup)

- copy the replacement files in newfiles

- copy the original files in backup

- create a batch file that copies new files to the desired location(s) and place it in newfiles

- reboot to DOS and run the batch file

If any of the original files has Read-only, Hidden and/or System attributes, remove them before rebooting to DOS.

Reboot to plain DOS (hold F8 while booting) and replace the files. It's good practice to keep backup copies in case anything goes wrong.

If there's too many files to replace manually:

- create a folder in the root drive (say C:\newfiles)

- create another folder for backups (say C:\backup)

- copy the replacement files in newfiles

- copy the original files in backup

- create a batch file that copies new files to the desired location(s) and place it in newfiles

- reboot to DOS and run the batch file

If any of the original files has Read-only, Hidden and/or System attributes, remove them before rebooting to DOS.

Yea I know how to copy files in DOS.:)

But I did hope that there was a software for win.

I will check them out and see.

Thanks.

:chears: man

This subject has come up before, so Thx from me also, eidenk.

Still begs the question - "What Files Would Be In-Use On Win9x/ME That Can't Be Copied?"

Normally, if the file is actively Opened (e.g. WIN386.SWP or maybe a DOC file in WORD), then that file is "locked".

Another question mght be "Why Is This File Locked?"

Normally, there's a reason to "lock" a given file. Am I missing something here?

edit - see below. the reason! and how to find them/kill them. (brain fart here...)

Edited by submix8c

Install and run CodeStuff Starter, it will tell you what processes are running and what files (dependencies) are loaded for each of them. As long as a process is running, all its dependencies will be locked.

To free a file, its parent process must be closed/killed. But system files can be shared between multiple processes, so all of those processes should be stopped before being able to operate on that file.

Kernel files cannot be operated on since they're always running and cannot be shut down; that's why any change to such files (installing KernelEx, for example) needs a reboot, so that key files can be operated on while in DOS mode, before being loaded by the Windows subsystem.

Edited by Drugwash