Laptop for gaming

fun4now

I'm a U.S.Army Vet. ,Disabled, 44, married, 3 boys ( 8y,3y,& 6weeks) one wife,29 (like any one needs more then 1 :wacko: ) OK really she is great and i could not get by without her ( don't tell her i said that,LOL).

i like welding and wood working when i can get up and about to do so. i spend a lot of time on the Miller welding forum where i help moderate and pass on as much help as i can to others there.i also spend a great deal of time playing command & conquer (have all the versions :thumbup ) although i don't play them on line, just at home. plan on playing them with my son if i can ever get the network problems worked out.

i recently (for X-Mas ) got a new laptop that's been a big disappointment and extreme headache trying to get it to do some of the most basic things.

my new laptop has win. Vista installed on it and so far i have been OK with it with 4 exceptions,

1. my video accelerator is falling way short

2. it dose not want to network with my desktop running win XP and dial up Internet sharing ( dial up threw desktop with XP)

3. its running a 32 bit Vista when it capable of and should be running 64bit. ( why would they install a 32 bit on a 64 bit compatible computer right out of the box??? )

4. why dose it use only one explorer page all the time?? i liked having 5 or 6 open to keep track of things. now i have to keep going back looking for my page.

ok so i got a lil truble to work out,LOL

after i get those things fixed i should be a happy customer and off to start figuring out how to get my web site working ( that's going to be fun also but i need to work out the bugs at home before starting a new web site project.

i would like to apologize in advance for any typo's. this is my first laptop and getting used to the keys is going to be fun i can see :blink: . i will do my best to remember to hit the spell check to catch the typo's but please bear with me should i forget due to being in a rush.

thanks for any and all help to come.

James

Edited by fun4now

thanks.

looks like i will be taking this laptop back due to lack of video options. :realmad:

but will still be back to get the new one up to speed.

EDIT Mar 7 2009, 08:06 PM:

wel im back on line with the new laptop, this one with NVIDIA 9300

will be buisy getting it working/rid of extra sample stuff

i still cant play lost planet on directX 10, and its really choppy in DriX9

i suspect i will have to do some playing around with my Video setting, just wish they made it easier to setup.

if your comp comes with a video card you would think they would set the bios to give it the max it wants?????

i also seem to have a high performance setting that locks my CPU usage at 100% that's interesting. i really need to learn more about this laptop.

its my first laptop so I'm lost big time, add to that its also my first introduction to win Vista and it just leaves me in the dark. 8^((

expect many questions to come, you may regret the offer to help. LOL

thanks

James

i still cant play lost planet on directX 10, and its really choppy in DriX9

i suspect i will have to do some playing around with my Video setting, just wish they made it easier to setup.

if your comp comes with a video card you would think they would set the bios to give it the max it wants?????

i also seem to have a high performance setting that locks my CPU usage at 100% that's interesting. i really need to learn more about this laptop.

its my first laptop so I'm lost big time, add to that its also my first introduction to win Vista and it just leaves me in the dark. 8^((

expect many questions to come, you may regret the offer to help. LOL

thanks

James

Salut,

Most companies that sell notebooks do not sell them to be gaming machines. The are mostly sold for college students or professionals, so expect that kind of setup.

I am sure that we can help you figure out your new computer. Since you seem to be interested in gaming, perhaps you can check out our gaming section: Gamers Hangout.

Most companies that sell notebooks do not sell them to be gaming machines

that was the problem with the laptop i returned to get this on, its supposed to be set up for games. i just don't know how to configure the proper settings to do so. if that's not the case, they lied to me at the store again. :realmad: i have 12 more days to find out if i need to take this one back too, or not. i hope 4 not.

i will check out the gaming section,

thanks.

James

Welcome to the forum!

I'm splitting up your topic and moving the new topic to the hardware section as it's good hardware you need in the first place.

Unless you are willing to drop down some 1500USD you will not find much good to play games on.

I wonder, do you really need a laptop? For some 800USD you or the store can build a machine that runs most games on high setting with a 1440*900 resolution (17 or 19" screen).

i kinda do need a laptop.

the wife wants me out with the family as much as possible. our desktop is stashed away in a small supposed to be bedroom we turned into comp & laundry room. so not only am i like i'm not home. the chair there is killing me. i really need to be in my recliner or bed most of the time to keep the wait off my spine.

i suspect i don't need to play the first person games off my laptop. it will play my C&C games fine, so ill just live with that. just a little surprised to see a NVDIA GForce 9300m fall short. i expected more from it. not shore i want to put any more $$ into a laptop. being on a fixed income i already spent too much. but the wife made me do it, so i just wanted to try the other games.

at this point if i can figure out how to network the 2 wireless I'll be happy with what i have and play as needed or allowed by it,:)

i suspect i will need to go back to a wireless router. that is if i can figure out how to bypass it wanting DSL or Cable for the internet option. i need to share internet threw my desktop.

i managed to get it to work once , no idea how but it was working and i was happy. turned it off and that was it gone.:(

I'll start a thread about controlling a wireless router and see if some one can walk me threw a setup that will work.

thanks

James

Edited by fun4now

• 2 weeks later...

well the comp crashed on me, so i upgraded wile i was replacing it.

at this point any game i cant play i'll just throw away. :whistle:

the new comp is defenetly set up for gamming. :thumbup its lowes ratting is in computing power.LOL

im now running a NVIDIA 9800 512 iwth 512M dedicated ram with 2303MB available memory.

and lost planet plays great, looks like a movie. :thumbup

and all for right at $1000.00 tax included. :rolleyes:

thanks for the help.

James

That looks better, I just hope that the 9800 will not overheat too much, just be sure it gets enough air from under the laptop. The good part is that it's easy to replace a damaged video card ;).

So, what model is it? And for 1000USD that's not expensive at all!

ASUS G50VT series :wub:

its way cool, has 2 over clock settings to speed up the CPU .normal,fast, and fastest. :w00t:

its way more then i need or will need in the near future, so I'm good to go for a wile.

as for overheating, even with my games on highest graphics its not even working hard. kinda worm air coming out of the vent but nothing bad. i don't bother to over clock it, and run the games below max graphics to help me see them better. too much smoke and heat waves with the explosions to tell what your shooting at . :lol: its just way cool. $899.00 + Tax. oh ya and it looks cool as all get out with the cool design and flashing lights in the lid. B)

can see the Best Buy write up here.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218044029168

What's Included

Asus Laptop with Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology

Lithium-ion battery

AC power cable

Software: Power 4 Gear Extreme, Life-Frame 3, ASUS Direct Console and more

Owner's manual

Product Features

Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology with interrelated Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P7450

Intel® PM45 chipset, 802.11a/b/g/n network connection and extended battery life capability.

4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 memory

For multitasking power; 1066MHz frontside bus, 3MB L2 cache and 2.13GHz processor speed.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media; also supports LightScribe direct-disc labels using compatible LightScribe media.

15.6" WXGA widescreen display

With a 1366 x 768 resolution brings your movies and games to life.

Secondary OLED display

Lets you receive notification of instant messages or e-mails during games.

320GB SATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

Provides plenty of storage space and fast read/write times.

NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS graphics

With 512MB of dedicated GDDR3 graphics memory for powerful graphic performance. Azalia audio chip with built-in Altec Lansing stereo speakers; HDMI output.

See the benefits of an NVIDIA graphics processor in your laptop.

Built-in 1.3-megapixel webcam

Makes it easy to send video mail to family and friends.

Facial recognition security

Uses the built-in webcam and software to help keep your laptop safe.

8-in-1 media reader

Supports Secure Digital, miniSD, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo for easy transfer of your digital photos.

1 IEEE 1394 port and 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector

Ensures easy Internet connectivity.

Weighs 7.7 lbs. and measures 1.6" thin

For portable power.

Built-in gaming sidelights

Deliver an enhanced gaming experience; color-coded keys for gaming.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system

With Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled for a stable operating platform.

Software package included

With Power 4 Gear Extreme, Life-Frame 3, ASUS Direct Console and more.

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

dude they come in blue. thats way cool. i have the brown version. cool for not showing dirt or finger prints on the inside as mine is black inside. if they had told me i could get it in blue and black i would have gone that way no question. but i still love the brown and gold version i have. its way more computer than i will need for a long time, call me a happy camper.:P now all i gotta do is save up some more $$ to get oblivion and fallout 3 ( in that order ) . although i still have to get threw command and conquer 3, C&C generals, &C generals zero hour, C&C red alert 3, oh ya and C&C's Yuri's revenge. so I'll have lots to play wile i save up. lost most interest in the lost planet as its a rush threw thing and I'm not a big fan of the run threw kill and go as fast as you can.

any way its a smoking fast comp with great graphics. i maxed out the graphics in C&C 3 made 3 huge bases with massive defenses, the made an attack with well over 100 units counting infantry and vehicles to try to bog it down. it didn't even phase it. they all attacked at full speed no lag or anything. my desktop would start to bog at about 45 units on low rezz. this thing is just smoking fast, and thats without over clocking it, just running it on factory specks.:)

i would definitely recommend this laptop to a Friend or any one for that matter, its great for games.:)

OK i celebrated enough.............well for the moment any way.:)

i do plan on geting an under the unit fan thingy though, some how i just dont see replacing the graphics card as that easy.:lol: always better to not have to.