MSN Messenger 5 for NT4/2000/XP/2003 :-)

Thread subject changed because solution is available below, and it works on Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003

I haven't used MSN Messenger on my old NT4 laptop for few weeks and today when I try to log in I get dreaded "must update to newer version" msg popping up. I have of course the "latest" client version for NT4 (5.0.0544 IIRC) for years, so it either means that Msoft have really finally dropped support for NT4's MSN Messenger 5 clients in the past recent week or two, or - hopefuly - it is just some problem with my system (I've been playing with it a lot in past month, including plenty of tests with "transplanting" files from 2K/XP so it might be just my problem).

I'd love to hear has anyone else get same pop up or not ('coz I won't have another NT4 box to check it out until Friday when I get back home)

TIA!

Edited by 888

Sounds plausible, considering they're on Messenger 14.x now. You could probably use one of the alternative messengers that can use the WLM network, assuming any of those run on NT4 (I haven't used it in a few years, so I honestly don't know anymore).

Thx.

Yes, we can use quite few other clients using MSN protocols that work fine on NT4 (my recommendation goes to miranda-im.org), but there are few things about MSN Mess 5 that I still prefer :blushing:

Anyways, since it seems no one else uses it, could anyone please TRY IT on your NT4, please?

http://messenger.msn.com/Download/OS.aspx

at the bottom there is NT4 version

edit: dnld it here directly

I have just reinstalled twice with full uninstall and cleanup but it didn't make any difference, I get the same "must upgrade or you can't login" message.

I would think MS would not quit supporting it without removing downloads to this version first, thus I think it is just my system, but then again it is Microsoft - anything is possible.

Edited by 888

So its official then - MS dropped support for MSN Messenger 5 indeed.

I knew this day will come.

Few mths ago I quit using Skype because v.1.4 did same thing.

Now MSN.

I guess it is really time to move on and leave NT4 behind :(

Such a fine OS, what a shame.

but there are few things about MSN Mess 5 that I still prefer :blushing:

Like what?

both pidgin or trillian or miranda fit awesomely :thumbup

for example ability to invoke NetMeeting, which I often use to access client machines.

You have no idea how difficult it is for many people to do start/run and type conf.exe on XP machines ;)

• 2 months later...

Correction:

I don't think Msoft dropped the support for Messenger 5.

Same version 5.0.0544 on Windows 95 is still working fine.

It's some usual Msoft's bullsh*t that they don't bother to fix because Bill want you to ditch NT4 and buy Vista ;)

FIX:

Install MSN Messenger 5 for NT4 from Microsoft DOWNLOAD HERE

Try to log in, when prompted say NO to Upgrade, exit Messenger (EXIT, not minimize it to tray!)

then

Install patch msnmsgr.exe (it is patched to identify itself to live network as version 8.1) and restart your Messenger.

Enjoy :-)

edit:

I forgot this forum have sucky 200 kb attachment limit :/

Patch is split into 6 parts now, download them all and unpack with WinRAR or such.

edit again:

I can't add all 6 parts into single post, oh well...

DOWNLOAD SINGLE FILE from megaupload.com HERE

(lasts 30 days or so IIRC)

Edited by Yzöwl
Attachment Removed, (non-reditributable files)

Patch parts 5-6

(last)

Patch by defaults to ...\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

If your installation directory differs, select "Browse' and navigate to your Messenger's directory manually.

Tested working on my NT4 desktop, and tested virus/spyware free with NOD32 sign.4132-20090604 (just to make sure)

screen of messenger on nt4 (with today date in tray if anyone have doubts ;) )

screencapture184b.jpg

Edited by Yzöwl
Attachment Removed, (non-reditributable files)

So its official then - MS dropped support for MSN Messenger 5 indeed.

I knew this day will come.

Few mths ago I quit using Skype because v.1.4 did same thing.

Now MSN.

I guess it is really time to move on and leave NT4 behind :(

Such a fine OS, what a shame.

Use Miranda IM... it supports 95, I am pretty sure it will support NT4, and is faster than MSN messenger.

Yes, if you have modern machine.

On my old laptop I still keep in my workshed Miranda drags like a snail (and forget aMSN), while MSN Mess works smooth (pentium 130mhz) and you can TALK too.

Miranda developer(s) were promising voice chat, but it's still not implemented AFAIK :(

How it could be "better" if it doesn't have voice :rolleyes:

Edited by no1none