Is there any FTP program better than FileZilla?

DreamSkape

Hi,

For small file transfers, i found it easy. Now I intend to backup my HDD to an online storage and for a single logical drive of 15GB, it took the entire day. Is there any FTP software that is more easy than the Filezilla that is as stable as Filezilla?

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Monday, March 09, 2009, 12:30:36 AM IST

What is your upload speed?

How do I find out that? The ISP gave me 256kbps speed but i do not know how much is upload speed. Can you help please?

Thanks.

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Monday, March 09, 2009, 1:40:35 AM IST

The ISP gave me 256kbps speed

Ouch. Assuming that's your upload speed (and not your download speed, with a even slower upload), and that you're always getting 100% of that (which would hardly ever be the case), and that your ftp transfers are 100% efficient (not the case), then transferring 15GB would take over 5 days. In a real-life scenario, it will take much longer than that. That's why most people don't bother with online backups in the first place (15GB ain't much either).

I personally would never use an online backup method. I'm in favor of performing my own local backup.

I use Acronis True Image which backs up my system data, applications and preferences/settings every morning.

If I had to burn it, being that it is about 11-12GB, would take 1 dual layer and 1 DVD+/-R.

I have made up my mid after all this. I too will use a local copy and cancel the online storage account though I paid them $5 for 25Gb. Even then, they are not accepting certain file types like .rar and most important .acl, that contains the list of autocorrect entires we create in word.

They are pretty useless. The site was 110mb.com, from where i am hsting my site also. But it is not good for backup, or rather any online storage is not good enough for a backup.

Please help me with this now:

My most important data combinedly will not go over 17GB. How do I make sure that these files are backup up on a regular basis. Can I automate them using any software like Nero (it has a backup option but i did not check it out). The default backup sytem on WindowsXP is not at all trustworthy.

Please give me some idea so that my lists get automatically updated at a certain time even If I forget to them. Or do I have to do it manually. And what device should I use for a backup - will a re-writable DVD be stable over regular re-writes or do I need to purchase any kind of external HDD for my laptop.

Thanks a ton. I am sick of all these online backups. I have been trying to get them straight but eventually they proved all of the above statements to be true. Personal backups are less headache, even if I do it manually. Please give me ideas about the questions in the above paras.

Thanks again.

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Monday, March 09, 2009, 5:58:59 PM IST

Don't use it, but I think Nero has something called BackitUp (or something of a sort). MS still has the "old-fashioned" NT Backup as well for most NT-type systems (don't use that either). I would suggest an external HDD (faster/fastest backup medium; wish I had one).

Edited by submix8c

Don't use it, but I think Nero has something called BackitUp (or something of a sort). MS still has the "old-fashioned" NT Backup as well for most NT-type systems (don't use that either). I would suggest an external HDD (faster/fastest backup medium; wish I had one).

I just backup up some 4 GB using the Nero, onto a different partition. Backup process was fine and did not disturb my work. It also compressess the files before backing them up. I will now check the restore process as soon as I am free. Besides, I have scheduled the Nero to back my most important files to the inbuilt HDD's other partition. I am now considering what medium to use for copying that logical drive contents. RW DVDs are no good for more than 2-3 rewrites, rite?

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Monday, March 09, 2009, 10:43:19 PM IST

Rewriteable can be reused many times more than that depending on the quality. I still reuse mine (CDRW/DVDRW) repeatedly, but I always back to disk first, burn/reburn to RW, then compare (I don't like losing stuff).

Again, if you can afford it (lots of folks can't) I'd go with External or Hot-Swap SCSI (removeable).

what type of files are they?

if they are compressible files (like word documents, databases, excel) etc..

then making a 7zip archive containing the files would greatly reduce the size of the backup needed