How Creepy! Soundcard, Ethernet became removable!

Francesco

Francesco, I see you have run nLite on a Vista system to create an ISO for XP. Some report problems with this combination. Can you try running nLite under XP? Also, often when these really strange symptoms occur, nLite has been run more than once against the same source. You should always start with a fresh copy of your files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

Francesco, I see you have run nLite on a Vista system to create an ISO for XP. Some report problems with this combination. Can you try running nLite under XP? Also, often when these really strange symptoms occur, nLite has been run more than once against the same source. You should always start with a fresh copy of your files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

I've tried making the CD on an XP machine and it still seems to have this issue.

I've ran nLite only once on the source, I started with clear sources and I also didn't slipstream any service pack because I have the official windows xp with sp3 cd. What could have gone wrong?

Francesco, what`s the meaning of "became removable"?

Since I use XP, nearly every hardware component is removable in the devicemanager.

I´m logged on as administrator. If I´m logged on as restricted User, it`s maybe not possible.

Maybe that`s the point - you`re logged on as administrator.

g-force, if you look at Francesco's screen shot, you will see that the window is from the brick looking icon in the system tray. Your system probably has one. If you double click it, the window will open listing the devices on your system that are removable. In my system these are my SATA attached HDDs and my USB sticks. He does not expect to see his Ethernet and other non-removable devices in his list. I admit that I had problems figuring this out myself - the picture, that is. Right now, I have no idea why this happened.

One question for Francesco: are these device attached via USB?

Enjoy, John.

Those are not removable devices: those are the motherboard built-in devices and shouldn't be removable in any way. When using the original XP SP3 CD none of those devices are detected as removable like this: heck, even the USB controller itself became removable! Either this PC was infected by a virus that is turning the motherboard into swappable lego bricks or there's something weird in the last update I added that messed things up. I'll try remaking the nlite config file from scratch and see what happens. I wonder why the weirdest issues always happen to me :(

Edited by Francesco

Francesco, I noticed that you removed Media Center under Multi Media. I don't have one of these (XP x64), but I am wondering about it and your last hot fix, WindowsMedia-KB952069. Is the update being applied to something you removed? This can cause strange symptoms. Please let us hear. Enjoy, John.

Those are not removable devices: those are the motherboard built-in devices and shouldn't be removable in any way.

like with a screwdriver <_< ty, ty yer a terrific audience.

Basic questions yet to be answered:

What kind of system?

What power saving options are on in the BIOS?

if this a laptop do you get different behavior under battery power then you do from an outlet?

Have you tried the load on any other machine?

did it behave differently so we can eliminate the load as the culprit?

Is it an HP? http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=1828

Edited by iamtheky