Will you update or clean install Windows 7 RC/RTM

GIL

When the release candidate comes out, or RTM, will it be save to install it over the Beta?

Of course I know there could be problems, but would you say it's safe? And effective for keeping all the configurations?

thought 7048 was tagged rc1?

and you want to reinstall the whole thing. You prob have the 7000 download so there have been 48 patch builds between your copy and the rc, that screams for a clean install. No telling how many more iterations it will go through before RTM.

I dont think you were supposed to fall in love with the beta :wub: , though you might be able to keep some of your config and UI files and copy them without issue.

7048 is just another leaked built as of right now,

Officially, every built after the beta is RC because that's their next milestone, as in RC v0.x

So, obviously I meant the official public release of RC1

No, I don't use the 7000. Seems you're in the mood to gossip. Thought I was in forum that gave informed answers.

Since a predominant amount of the folks here asking about 7 downloaded the mass-beta and you offered no history on what you planned on upgrading from, i dont think it was an unfair assumption.

my 7022 doesnt say rc1 but my 7048 does. So is everything after 7000 really rc1?

we are more in the mood to have a logical discussion and form reasonable conclusions.

and pray tell who is going to give 'informed' answers about a RTM that has yet to be released?

my 7022 doesnt say rc1 but my 7048 does. So is everything after 7000 really rc1?

And where exactly is your 7048 displaying RC1? Every file I have looked at (both the non-iso and the iso) the release and everything still shows "EULAID:Win7_B.1_PRO_NRL_en-US"

And yes, everything after build 7000 is in the RC branch. MS has stated this a few times already.

Sinofsky mentioned that, "recently we've seen people talk about 'RC Builds' and the like. First, all builds since the beta are RC builds since by definition that is the next milestone.

Sure, sure I understand that they are working in the RC branch, but 7022 just had the rev number with nothing identifying in the label other than IE8 RC1. 7048 was the first build I was provided with RC1 in the label.

It was also in the preliminary SVD i was provided.

A lot of internal and FOUO stickers all over the bia, but its usually right in line with what the commercial world is receiving. And with the ridiculous number of changes being made, I would still stand by electing against any kind of 'upgrade' option between the RC(s) and RTM.

7022 contained the IE8 RC1 build, you are correct. The later 704x (and later) builds are in the RC1 testing phase for Windows itself, and once one of these builds is deemed RC ready, it'll be released as Windows 7 RC1. I believe the latest build available to beta customers is 7048, but that they're into building Win7 with the 705x build numbers already.

always a clean install

upgrades are ugly

+1

upgrades suck. period. They are far from efficient. Doesnt matter if the installer is MSI, Inno, whatever.

I have tracked many issues to an 'upgrade scenario', They dont remove files and Registry Keys properly.

This attitude is for all software, not just operating systems.

Uninstall previous versions - Install 'clean' programs - you will get what the developer meant you to get.

shark

Edited by Shark007

so how do you go about getting a copy of the new win.7

its a legal release correct, i don't want to end up with a pirate version.

i just got my new laptop and would like to get it started off with the new win.7 so i don't have to change again for a wile. no point getting vista set up just to have to change.

so how do you go about getting a copy of the new win.7

its a legal release correct, i don't want to end up with a pirate version.

i just got my new laptop and would like to get it started off with the new win.7 so i don't have to change again for a wile. no point getting vista set up just to have to change.

Currently the download period for the beta has expired, but the release candidate should be out in a few months (maybe sooner). If you have an MSDN or Technet subscription, you can still download the beta (build 7000) there.

OK silly question??

would it be a good or bad idea to get it in your opin ?

keeping in mind i am not computer literate and stumble threw most things,

thanks for the input

James

If you have an MSDN or Technet subscription

dose that mean i am a member here or is it some thing else/ would it help me learn about my computer ?