Dell Latitude E6400

jham

Hi All,

My company just decided to move to Dell notebooks from Lenovo. I have a working RIS server and Win XP SP3 base image that currently works for Lenovo laptops. Without having to create a riprep image for this new Dell E6400, I am trying to add drivers for this notebook to my current i386 image.

I downloaded the drivers for the intel 82567LM network card. I followed the instructions for adding the drivers as specified in the 'readme'.

I also have the chipset drivers and nic drivers being added using the ristndrd.sif in the OemPnpDriversPath command line.

When I launch the RIS installation for the E6400 and it starts the install, copies the installation files and launches the windows setup screens. When it gets to the point where it wants to add the pc to the domain (as specified in the ristndrd.sif) the windows installation tells me that the domain specified is incorrect. The reason is because the network adapter driver didn't install and I found this out by letting the install finish and then looking in the device manager.

If the installation got past the RIS screens why would the NIC drivers not translate to the windows xp install?

Thanks in advance for your help and all the great information on this forum!

Doesn't the notebooks use the PXE firmware to load up RIS?

Yes the notebooks use PXE to load up RIS but in order to pull the Windows install, the NIC driver must be installed using the OemPnpDriversPath. I thought I had this right since the install will complete, but the problem is that the NIC is not recognized when the RIS finishes and boots to windows. I could add the driver manually, but I have some post installation scripts that run from the network during an autologon and obviously won't work if the nic is missing its driver.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Doesn't the notebooks use the PXE firmware to load up RIS?

Yes the notebooks use PXE to load up RIS but in order to pull the Windows install, the NIC driver must be installed using the OemPnpDriversPath. I thought I had this right since the install will complete, but the problem is that the NIC is not recognized when the RIS finishes and boots to windows. I could add the driver manually, but I have some post installation scripts that run from the network during an autologon and obviously won't work if the nic is missing its driver.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hello there, I'm using the Intel drivers here...

Intel® 82567 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...4&submit=Go!

Once you download the drivers and unzip the file there are instructions in there about using them in RIS... here they are... that seemed to work for me.

the path is \PRO2KXP_v13_5\PRO1000\Win32\RIS_INF

"Setting up Intel® Gigabit Network Connection Drivers for RIS Installation

===========================================================================

To set up network drivers for RIS installation, you must copy files from the Intel® Network Connections Software CD to the RIS image [iMAGE_ROOT]. Follow the directions for your operating system.

Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft* Windows Server* 2003 (32-bit)

==================================================================

1. Create an [iMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory if one does not already exist.

2. Copy all files from the PRO1000\Win32 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory.

3. Make the following changes to the .SIF file that is used for this image installation (located in the [iMAGE_ROOT]\I386\Templates directory):

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic

4. Copy all .SYS files from PRO1000\Win32 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\i386 directory. Do NOT copy the INF files to this directory.

5. Delete E1000325.PNF, E1E5132.PNF, E1Q5132.PNF, and E1Y5132.PNF (if present) from the [iMAGE_ROOT]\i386 directory.

6. Extract the .INF files from PRO1000\Win32\RIS_INF\E1000325.ZIP, E1E5132.zip, E1Q5132.ZIP, and E1Y5132.ZIP to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\i386 directory.

7. Restart the Remote Installation Service.

8. Follow the rest of the Microsoft instructions for adding a new network driver to the RIS installation."