Vista 32 vs 64

Tripredacus

This is as much of a hardware question as a software one. I still have this last question as it concerns the config on the next PC I will build.

I know I want to use Vista Business, but should I be using x86 or x64? If I can use x64 I'd want to get 8GB RAM, but if I shouldn't, I'll settle for 4GB. My main concern is that I don't know how reliable the WOW is on Vista x64. Am I going to have problems playing games?

I guess this could be a gaming question too.

I am a happy user of Vista Business x64 for quite a while now... No issues at all, all games running as they should (including the whole Tom Clancy's series up to Endwar which I'm still waiting for to come in my country, Crysis and Crysis Warhead). My rig is: Q6600, 8GB DDR2, RAID10 (4 x 250GB WD), nVIDIA 8800GT Zalman, all on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R powered by a 450W Thermaltake PSU.

WOW or Windows On Windows essentially means that two copies of Windows exist on the computer. With WOW64 there is both 32bit and 64bit Program Files and Windows files; thus why these versions of Windows require more disk space to install. Having both types basically allows 32bit and 64bit programs to run native without emulation. With Itanium 32bit was emulated, with x86-64 the processor can just switch between modes.

IMO the only reason not to go for x64 is:

You have less than 4GB of RAM

You have software or hardware which requires a driver but doesn't have 64bit available.

Since Microsoft now requires both 32bit and 64bit drivers to get a WHQL digital signature, that problem should only apply to beta drivers.

BTW we had another topic on this with some relevant information, just ignore the flaming :)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129971