Shrink Windows XP image?

There are tons of tutorials that explains how to install xp unattended but where can we find some info what we can delete in order to have an image as little as it is possible?

The image must be used in a business so things Movie Maker can be deleted. Network support on the other hand is crucial

Have anybody done this before and can give some info on this?

I would like not to use nLite for doing those things. I made some xp installs for computers at home and they don't perform as I want and like gamehead said:"you cannot use it for commercial use"

Anybody?

Sorry :blushing: I forgot about the EULA. But if its for non commercial purposes, it works like a charm. Have used it to strip Win XP to a VERY small size so that it could install taking about 100MB of space on a very old computer I had bought at a junk sale !

i usually run 'net stop wuausrv' and delete c:\windows\softwaredistribution c:\windows\temp and %temp% & deactivate hibernation before imaging then my imaging software (PING) deletes the swapfile before taking the image.

you can also delete things like the sample music and c:\windows\web\wallpapers too if you wanna go crazy about it but those wont save you much

i usually run 'net stop wuausrv' and delete c:\windows\softwaredistribution c:\windows\temp and %temp% & deactivate hibernation before imaging then my imaging software (PING) deletes the swapfile before taking the image.

you can also delete things like the sample music and c:\windows\web\wallpapers too if you wanna go crazy about it but those wont save you much

First useful tips, thanks! :thumbup

a quick list of files that can be deleted safely:

c:\windows\softwaredistribution = Varies depending on how many update have been applied

c:\windows\temp = Varies

%temp% = Varies

c:\windows\web\wallpapers\*.jpg;*,bmp = 2.46MB

c:\hiberfil.sys = same as installed RAM

c:\pagefile.sys = Varies, usually 1GB or more

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents = 1.61MB

you can also rerun the builtin Disk Cleanup and delete restore points and/or ccleaner to remove hotfix uninstallers and other stuff

There are a lot of items to delete, both pre and post instalation. You can delete all the folders at CD image beside i386. Next you can open each cab file in an archiving program (like 7-zip). The best is to use the Windows's itself program for creating and unpacking CABs (Google it, I don't recall it's name) in order to repack them (properly). Then you can delete things you are sure to delete... or look what nLite delete and delete it manually :). You are not using nLite itself for making the image, so it's not against EULA.

When it comes to post-installation, you can delete:

- both Windows/system32/dllcache and Windows/Driver Cache/i386 (may be a bit risky and can cause CHKDSK not working properly [ex. checking files at each boot])

- all files named $NtUninstallstring$ after installing updates

- C:\Windows\Help\

- C:\Windows\media\

- screensavers in system32 folders (but they will be recovered unless you menaged to disable SFC or deleted dllcache and/or i386 folder (don't remember which)

- C:\Windows\Cursors\

- All known execs you won't be using (such as notepad, if you have something similar)... lot's to do.

You can go as far as deleting driver files, dlls, cleaning registry... it all depends of your skills. Also try to find some useless logs or readmes. You can try to delete movie maker, windows media player and w/e after disabling SFC and/or deleting dllcache and i386.

Also mess with options - disable hibernation, use programs for cleaning useless files (but I'm usnsure about ones with commercial licence), disable indexing service, disable recovery options...

PS. Sorry for chaotic writing :/.