Direct3D in VPC 2007

Tripredacus

I have Virtual PC running on a Server 2003 Standard x32, and the OS in the session is Windows XP Pro SP2. The video card in the computer is nVidia GeForce 4 MX 4000, but in the VM it shows up as VM Additions S3 Trio 32/64. If I run DXDIAG it says it supports DirectDraw but not Direct3D.

It comes down to this, it can run some games such as Midtown Madness Demo, Motorcross Madness demo, but it can't run Carmageddon 2 demo.

Is there any drivers available or a way to get Direct 3D to work in this situation?

VPC emulates a graphics card. Because of this you can't have Direct3D. VirtualBox (my favorit tool) offers OpenGL support inside the VM. Try this out if your applications support OperGL.

I think it does. Can I use my VHD from VPC 2007 with VirtualBox or do I have to start all over again?

I have started VirtualBox and I see and option to select vhd files. Make a backup and try to use the vhd with VirtualBox

You are correct. It seems to work much better in VirtualBox than VPC. Thanks for recommending it. It took me awhile to get the video driver installed, an option under tools called Guest Additionals? It installed a driver, but while OpenGL was now available, the program did not work. The game was a demo and Open GL is only an option in a patch for the full version. By default it supported Direct3D or (true)Glide. So I will use this VM now, but will need to find a different game instead.

It took me awhile to get the video driver installed, an option under tools called Guest Additionals?

this is correct. This installs several drivers (mouse, video, shared folders).

So I will use this VM now, but will need to find a different game instead.

you can try old shooters like Quake 3 if you want to play them inside a VM.

It took me awhile to get the video driver installed, an option under tools called Guest Additionals?

this is correct. This installs several drivers (mouse, video, shared folders).

So I will use this VM now, but will need to find a different game instead.

you can try old shooters like Quake 3 if you want to play them inside a VM.

I still play Quake 3 at home... :whistle: