Vista Activation

Kindovic

Hi guys,

I've a HP desktop that comes with Vista Business. Recently, the system prompt me for Activation. I then keyed in the Vista key found on the COA sticker. However, the system prompts me that the key i've entered is invalid. After which, the system ask me to activate via the automated phone activation. I provide the system with my installation ID, but the system says it's invalid.

How can i going to solve this? Does this means that I'll have to reformat my system?

Thanks

I'm assuming the HP machine came from HP with the Vista Business OS installed already? Were there any changes to the system, hardware or software, that would potentially have caused Windows to think it needed to reactivate? Or, was the machine offline from an internet connection for more than 6 months?

You will probably need to call HP for assistance, and see what they suggest. They may require you to do a restore using a restore point (if you hadn't tried that already), or perhaps a reinstall with their restore media.

Or, was the machine offline from an internet connection for more than 6 months?

Sorry for the OT, but does this mean that if a PC stays disconnected for, say, 181 days, Vista activation needs to be redone? :unsure:

jaclaz

Or, was the machine offline from an internet connection for more than 6 months?

Sorry for the OT, but does this mean that if a PC stays disconnected for, say, 181 days, Vista activation needs to be redone? :unsure:

jaclaz

Correct.

Thanks for the info. :thumbup

Am I allowed to say that it seems a crazy thing to me? :blink:

I mean, I cannot leave my PC shutted off for 6 months, come back and switch it on as it was before?

Do I have to call a friend or relative to go to my house and switch it on before the deadline if I am out of town for a long period?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I mean, I cannot leave my PC shutted off for 6 months, come back and switch it on as it was before?

Do I have to call a friend or relative to go to my house and switch it on before the deadline if I am out of town for a long period?

jaclaz

180 days isn't a hard trigger, it's just an example - it can happen sooner, if Microsoft so decides - if they blacklists a key, or release a WGA update, etc. If Microsoft triggers a re-validation, your Vista install will ultimately attempt to re-validate, and must be online to do so. However, it seems like this happens 2 to 3 times a year, hence the ask for whether or not the machine was off for 6 months.

jaclaz

180 days isn't a hard trigger, it's just an example - it can happen sooner, if Microsoft so decides - if they blacklists a key, or release a WGA update, etc. If Microsoft triggers a re-validation, your Vista install will ultimately attempt to re-validate, and must be online to do so. However, it seems like this happens 2 to 3 times a year, hence the ask for whether or not the machine was off for 6 months.

Amazing :blink:

What is the rationale behind that if I may ask ?

Things like the Paradox crack, for instance.

This would work but it must be installed as a slave on another system

I have been using my USB Key for installing Vista...

I accidently left it in the USB port and Paradox installed its code

to the Boot record on my Key as well as the system I was testing it on.

I don't believe Paradox will run on a locked system.

Edited by Arrow22