Can I run 64 version on this computer?

NoUserName

Hello

I have a bit old computer with the following configration and was wondering if I can run an 64x copy of xp on it:

- P4, 1 MB cache, 2.8 GHz, pass 800.

- 2 GB Ram, pass 400, dual channel.

- ECS mother board, pass 800.

- ATI 128 MB VGA Card.

- 3 Hard Drives (160, 80, 40) GBs.

Also does using 64x copy of XP allow me to use different applications or I should only install 64x copies? or does there is something I do not understand?

The reason I am asking that a friend of mine told me that 64x of XP can support more rams and more hard drives and more stable and more fast.

So all my hard drives are 32 now, so please correct and clear my points :blushing:

Thanks a lot

You can download and run the VMWare Processor check for 64-bit compatibility. It will tell you if the processor has the 64-bit extensions or not.

Please may you tell me more information for this regard ?

@NoUsername

You Do Not Understand The Concept Of 64!

The main component required in order to run x64 is a x64 capable processor.

From your post we see that you are using a pentium which may or may not support x64, You have to find out yourself with the software posted above. If you're processor is compatible then you have to go ahead and purchase a x64 Bit Operating System. Then again you have to purchase x64 Bit software. However this is not compulsory as you can run x32 Bit applications on x64. But in order to attain peak performance as your friend states, you need the following:

: x64 Processor

: x64 Operating System

: x64 Applications

Which will allow you RAM of more than 4 GB and much more Hard Disk space and cache file and so on!

@NoUsername

You Do Not Understand The Concept Of 64!

The main component required in order to run x64 is a x64 capable processor.

From your post we see that you are using a pentium which may or may not support x64, You have to find out yourself with the software posted above. If you're processor is compatible then you have to go ahead and purchase a x64 Bit Operating System. Then again you have to purchase x64 Bit software. However this is not compulsory as you can run x32 Bit applications on x64. But in order to attain peak performance as your friend states, you need the following:

: x64 Processor

: x64 Operating System

: x64 Applications

Which will allow you RAM of more than 4 GB and much more Hard Disk space and cache file and so on!

Thanks for the info mate ... can I have one operating system with 32-bit on a partition, and another 64-bit operating system on another partition?

"Thanks for the info mate ... can I have one operating system with 32-bit on a partition, and another 64-bit operating system on another partition?"

Yes You Can, But In Order For This To Work You Will Have To Purchase A Special x64 Edition Of The Operating System, Unless You're Going Open Source Like Linux! So I Would Recommend That You Stick To x32 Bit As It Will Save You Money And You Can Use Existing Hardware. There Isn't Much You Can Gain From x64 Unless You're Business User Or Server Which Requires Lot Of RAM And HDD!

Most Of The Population Is Using x32 And So Are Gamers! So I Do Not See Any Need In Upgrading!

i dont think your cpu is 64bit and therefore you wont be able to run xp64

while your freind is correct in that xp64 can use more ram this is on systems where the total ram including gfx cards adds up to over 4gig and windows xp 32 will only be able to see about 3.2gig of your ram however since you have 2 gig of ram windows xp 32 will see all of it so you will have no problem there

to your other question windows xp 64 will be able to run all the apps you have already as well as 64 bit versions while it is better to run the 64bit version if you have it the 32bit one will run fine

*edit ignore my post im not used to the tree like reply system of this forum and never seen the previous replys

Edited by binaryknight

The only P4 chips that supported x86-64 were certain Prescott chips:

Intel also released a series of Prescotts supporting Intel 64, Intel's implementation of the x86-64 64-bit extensions to the x86 architecture. These were originally released as the F-series, and only sold to OEMs, but they were later renamed to the 5x1 series and sold to the general public. Two low-end Intel64-enabled Prescotts, based on the 5x5/5x9 series, were also released with model numbers 506 and 516.

5x0, 5x0J, and 5x1 series Prescotts have incorporated Hyper-Threading in order to speed up some processes that use multithreaded software, such as video editing. The 5x1 series also supports 64 bit computing.

Since the Prescott chips shipped from 2.8GHz to 3.4GHz, it's hard to say with 100% certainty what you have in there and whether or not it's capable of x64 or not. If you want to be sure if your CPU supports x86-64, download and run cpu-z and see if your CPU has "EM64T" instructions support:

emt64.jpg

Well my friends,

I think no need then to go through all of these as I was not expecting all of that, so thanks to you for saving my time and my money as well.

Also I do like to thank all members and staff for their care to help me that much :wub:

Also thanks for all the new information I've learned from you here at MSFN :yes::thumbup