Better coolage! XP/2k3 or Vista?

Springdale

Good afternoon all!,

I'm currently using Windows Server 2k3 Enterprise RC2 (SP2) and been testing with other OS for the best cooling for my CPU. I have a Intel I7 920 CPU running at its stock speed with nothing overclocked at the moment. Anybody has any insight if they saw better CPU temperatures under Vista? Thanks

My System Specs:

DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor With HT

PNY XLR8 GeForce 9800 GT 1GB DDR3

2x Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s with Raid Zer

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit

NEXGEN 3 eMachines T2825 Micro ATX Silver/Black Case

Corsair 620 Watt HX Power Supply.

ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

cpuspeeds.jpg

This is the cpu speeds with basic apps running in the background such as Firefox 3, ms paint, messenger, ect. It seems to me this is pretty good readings, but I wonder if I can do better? Thanks all in advance for your advise :thumbup

"the more room for OC"

It doesn't matter at all which OS you use. You must have sufficient cooling for the times where your CPU load will hit 100%, and that's all there is to it. It doesn't matter how much the OS or apps use, or in what proportions. The temp reached @ 100% CPU usage will be the exact same no matter what OS you use (or version of it), it's only a question of wattage/thermal resistance/airflow.

If your temps are too high @ 100%, then your HSF is inadequate for the power it has to dissipate (assuming ambient temp is not being an issue)

Of course, better cooling for better temperatures for a trivial solution! I've tested with Advance Server 2k which took my CPU temps around 50C, but installing Server 2k3 or xp I saw much better temperatures around 35C. That's why I'm asking if Vista would have better temperatures for my CPU since I saw different readings comparing NT 5.0 and 5.1/2. That's why I'm asking if there is a difference in OS.

Of course, better cooling for better temperatures for a trivial solution!

It's not a trivial solution, having an adequate HSF is the only solution.

I've tested with Advance Server 2k which took my CPU temps around 50C, but installing Server 2k3 or xp I saw much better temperatures around 35C.

The temps you get when idle mean nothing. One install seemingly has more background stuff running, keeping your CPU busier (hence hotter). It changes nothing at all. In both cases, your HSF has to be sufficient to handle 100% CPU load, at which the temps will be the same regardless of OS used. Your CPU will use a certain number of watts when @ 100% load, regardless of OS, and given the same HSF, same ambient temp, airflow and all, the temps will be identical. The OS you use changes *nothing* to this.

Man your computer must be loud. The CNPS9900LED is a terrible cooler, and at full speed sounds like a tornado. Zalman heatsinks have dropped in performance and quality over the past couple of years (I remember when the CNPS7000 was the greatest thing since sliced bread), not to mention that they're expensive. If you can return it, get yourself a ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme, or ThermalRight HR-01+. Far better cooling performance for less cost and less noise.

Zalman CNPS9900 LED Review @ SilentPCReview.com

The difference in idle temperatures between the two operating systems likely comes from CPU power management settings in the operating system, allowing the CPU to throttle back to a lower multiplier when not in use. However, like crahak said, this means absolutely nothing when you're overclocking, since the only thing that matters is whether or not your system is stable at 100% load.