DVD ROM/System Reboot...Help!!

mreska

Hello,

Here is my problem.... After upgrading to XP and installing the latest version of WIN DVD, when I insert a DVD into the drive, my system reboots and the XP scans my hard drive for errors every time.

I have a Toshiba DVD ROM which was pre-installed on my system. Anyone else having the same problem and any suggestions/fixes? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MR::MOO:: ::MOO::

make sure you have the most up to date drivers for your DVDROM, including any firmware revisions. Another thing is to make sure you are not using pirated software (ahem, choke, cough, puke), also make sure you have the latest winDVD for XP, including any updates or patches.

If it still will not work, try using powerDVD or the built in DVD player in WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER.

Post up any further questions!

Good luck,

Big Booger

Have to agree with Conan & Boogs

If ur running an upgrade of xp u may have picked up issues from installing over ur previous o/s....clean install is always the better option

I use Power dvd 4 made for xp and runs fine, so does the windows media player, check ur vid drivers and get the ones that work well with ur system

Sounds more like the Win DVD installation was bad from the start.

Where there errors "after" installing Win DVD? Where you prompted to reboot the PC for the installation to take effect?

I believe you experienced a bad software installation. XP is running scan disk isn't it? I doubt you have a hardware conflict causing the reboot/scan.

Conan and Big Booger are right and you should look at a clean install of XP as well as using only updated drivers, etc.

You will also want to defrag the hard drive if the software installation was bad. The defrag is necessary when software installation(s) fail and scan disk is running on every system boot. Always run defrag after installing new software to keep the hard drive smooth.

Last, use the system restore feature in XP. Start > Help and Support > Pick a Task > undo changes to your computer with System Restore. Then you can go back to the beginning and start over from a better position.

MSNwar - The FatMan