Microsoft Virtual PC Mouse & Keybord

helpdesk98

I am running Microsoft Virtual PC 07 I was wondering:

If I have a separate keyboard & mouse attached to my pc can I set it to only work with that keyboard & mouse?

resin I ask:

I have 2 screens attached to my PC and my PC is powerful enoth to run the host system and a virtual PC in the past I have setup remote access to control the virtual's keyboard & mouse using a 3ed PC, but that is a pain to set up any ideas?

I will try to make my post more clear shortly.

This Picture may make more sense

Virtual.jpg

Edited by helpdesk98

Unfortunately, no, you cannot make this happen due to the design of the keyboard and mouse input in Windows, and the way Virtual PC grabs that input. It's either off or on, there's no selecting which keyboard and mouse to direct the input.

o well hear is my current setup:

current%20setup.jpg

I got My laptop, one tower PC, 2ed monitor and a KVM switch

the laptop has Virtual PC on it Virtual PC is displayed in the monitor the virtual PC has remote access installed on it the tower be low has the keyboard an mouse and I just log in using that. It works but for gaming it sucks it lags too much to control maby some day some one will make software like this. I know there a PC that can do this but its not a virtual PC I think they are called Magic Twin PCs

• 5 months later...
o well hear is my current setup:

I got My laptop, one tower PC, 2ed monitor and a KVM switch

the laptop has Virtual PC on it Virtual PC is displayed in the monitor the virtual PC has remote access installed on it the tower be low has the keyboard an mouse and I just log in using that. It works but for gaming it sucks it lags too much to control maby some day some one will make software like this. I know there a PC that can do this but its not a virtual PC I think they are called Magic Twin PCs

sorry for resurrecting this post, but SoftXPand is exactly what you're looking for I think. It runs Windows XP and eventually windows 7. The only problem is it's around $100 per license (meaning every time you want to split the host PC is $100, so splitting it into 3 PC's is $200, 8 PC's is $700), and its mostly meant for educational or business purposes. Though I'm sure they'd let you split it into 2 for home use. There is no alternate free program unfortunately. It runs windows XP, and you can divide resources manually or automatically (for example, if you have an i7, you can assign one PC one core, and another PC 3 cores, SLi you can assign a GPU for each PC, a separate sound card, etc etc) Yes, they will use separate mice and keyboards, and they operate independently of one another (Though of course if the actual tower is rebooted then both will obviously restart)

Oh, and I think they offer a 30-day trial to split a PC into 2, so of course, try before you buy. $100 may be worth it to you (it will be to me)

EDIT: after looking over their site, it doesnt look like they allow manual setting (which is good, it reduces the complexity of the installation), however the same thing applies, basically whoever needs the power will get it dynamically. photoshopping, word processing, youtube, or gaming, each PC will get as much power as it needs, and what's available. (for example, one person gaming, the other surfing internet, the gamer will get all resources the surfer isn't using, if both people are playing the same game, it'd likely split resources right down the middle. I plan on building an i7 machine with 2 GTX 295's and splitting it into 4 machines for lan parties. sweet...)

here's their website: http://www.miniframe.com/

Edited by mew905