Can you install OE without IE in FDV W2K?

PMikeP

I tried installing a FDV W2K with no IE, but WITH OE, by modifying Fred's SYSSETUP.INI file, per his comments in the file.

(I wanted a cheap newsreader for the one time a year I post in a newsgroup.)

It didn't work. I got an OE icon in the Start menu, but when I click on it, I get a message about not being able to find an OE DLL. I notice that Autoruns points to an OE5 setup file.

So maybe this is obvious. Can you install OE without IE? (IOW, does OE depend on IE?)

The way Fred's comments in his SYSSETUP read, the implication is you can toggle one or the other or both. He doesn't mention any dependencies.

And you say... ?

I think OE and IE are tightly knit together, but I could be wrong. Perhaps you can use xnews for newsgroup reading and posting. It's free and free of dependancies, and most of all it's not tied to IE to automagically launch stuff you don't want.

It is toggleable but only insofar as installing files that you need in order to install (regular, non-express) Outlook in MS Office. In fact the msoe inf file is a standalone installer so you can right click/install and the files necessary for MS Office will be put in place.

But the newsreader functions? I have no idea, sorry... which I why I recommend TommyP's advice to you. XNews by Luu Tran is an amazing piece of software. So good in fact that a lot of Linux users run WINE in order to be able to run it; it's one of the best newsreaders/newsposting software packages you'll ever use.