Small nit with TweakUI in User Account FDV W2K

PMikeP

This isn't a big deal, but I'm obsessive. (Besides, inquiring minds want to know!)

I'm running W2K, built with HFSLIP 1.79beta and Fred's latest file set. No IE and no OE. I use the latest TweakUI for W2K from M$.

TweakUI works as expected under the Administrator account. Under the IE tab, I've unchecked "Allowchanges to Active Desktop." And that works. That removes the Active Desktop Context menu when clicking the right mouse button on the Desktop. But when I create a User account, not all these settings transfer over to the User account. Nor can I change some items under the IE tab in TweakUI.

In particular, I can't get the Active Desktop options to apply. They will "uncheck," but not persist. (That is, when I click "Apply," they come back.)

In fact, none of the IE settings in TweakUI can be changed from User.

I'm wondering if this is a FDV thing, because I notice that under "Display Properties," Web tab, the behavior is different from an OEM W2K install. In particular, I can't uncheck the "My current home page" box and in my other W2K installs, I don't even have a Web tab. I think I disabled Active Desktop somewhere in the OEM installs. But that option doesn't seem to be available in an IE-less W2K.

As a sanity check, can someone verify this behavior on their FDV W2K no IE, no OE system?

If it's not just me, then is there a way to modify the User account TweakUI IE settings? If not, why not? It works in Administrator. Is there a Registry permission I need to unlock as a consequence of no IE?

Mike <><

I found a solution. (Although I still don't understand the "why" of the problem. I'm still thinking it's something Fred had to do to eliminate IE. Or maybe a consequence of removing IE?)

Logged into Administrator, started group editor (gpedit.msc) > User Configuration > Administrative Template > Desktop > Active Desktop > Disable Active Desktop. Was initially "Not configured." I changed it to "Enabled."

That solved my nit of a 'problem.' No more Active Desktop flyout in the User account.

That gpeditor is a powerful utility. I don't understand most of the implications of its settings. Seems like one could do a lot of damage by indiscriminately toggling things off. I wonder who wins in a battle for control? The Registry or the Group Editor? It seems you could do things to the Administrator from gpedit that couldn't be undone by the Administrator through normal channels.

[interestingly, there are two antithetical options for Active Desktop: Enable and Disable. I wonder what happens if you set them both to "Enable?"]

Mike <><

I know I should keep more detailed notes... but ripping out Active Desktop was killing some other piece of software. I can't recall what it was. You can make it invisible, and I probably should look into making it not show, but I'm more interested in -killing- it than making it invisible, which is honestly why I just left it alone. I suppose I will look into making it not show in the next revision. Having a hard time recalling what the problems with it were...