Okay to CClean Registry on a FDV W2K?

PMikeP

I've got a real tight version of W2K, thanks to Fred's File set. (No IE.) Like DSL, it only requires 50MB of RAM or so.

In my obsession to make it even tighter, I was thinking of trying CCleaner's Registry clean up function. I tried it once a year ago with an older version of Fred's file set and was surprised to see all the items it found. But it's hard to know if some of the Registry Entries that don't point to any installed files or dll's are there for a reason. Like, to fake out programs into believing IE6 is installed?

I don't want to try cleaning the Registry until Fred chimes in and gives a thumbs up or down on this.

Mike <><

Hmm. Let me download and run CCleaner and get back to you so I can see myself.

It reports some things that are legitimately errors (the jpg and png CLSID reassignments for example) but it also reports some things as errors that I don't think are wrong, like the Active Directory timestamp CLSID.

You can go ahead and fix all of these, the ones I think are correct -- the ones that CCleaner and I disagree on -- are very trivial anyway. I have made some changes in my files so that some of the errors reported are eliminated.

Edited by fdv