Windows ME disc ? mystical!

cmonkedo

I know the rules so pls read carfully I am wondering if anyone knows where you can still buy windows me discs. I do not want the liscense just the Microsoft OEM full bootable cd. if anyone knows the mysterious location of one of these discs. its like trying to find a unicorn.

unicorns tend to crash fairly less often.

:P

Sorry but I could not resist it....

Seriously, an OEM disc won't be strictly speaking Legally licensed unless you buy also the hardware.

However, as always ebay:

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/Windo...0QQ_sacatZ41882

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ...p;_osacat=41882

jaclaz

I have ME maybe from 2002 and I´m very content with this OS, because it is very strong against viruses, malwares and so on. I have full controll of all doing, this is not the same thing like at XP, some three or four minutes on Internet and anyone can send message to XP, that he is very important update from microsoft.com. With ME, it is unpossible thing.

But, I have more and more difficulties with ME. New MB don´t support ME, no new drivers for SATA (small speed of reading and writing SATAdiscs), no drivers for NVIDIA graphic cards. I tried XP, Vista and Windows 7 a I´d like to demolish my house with stupid messages and settings of new OS´s.

I´d pay to Microsoft some 150 euros, if they repaire ME or 98SE with letting their original images and not buing Vista or 7...

I use Windows 4.9 on an old game machine.

I’ve seen ads for new computers that say “featuring Windows 6.0” in order to avoid the “V” word, which has become marketing poison.

So I’m doing the same for my Win ME machine to see if it helps. :whistle:

I know the rules so pls read carfully I am wondering if anyone knows where you can still buy windows me discs.
Unless you can find one online, say eBay for example, then no. Microsoft hasn't distributed ME discs in years, so unless you can find a 3rd party selling them, you're out of luck.

I have ME maybe from 2002 and I´m very content with this OS, because it is very strong against viruses, malwares and so on. I have full controll of all doing, this is not the same thing like at XP, some three or four minutes on Internet and anyone can send message to XP, that he is very important update from microsoft.com. With ME, it is unpossible thing.

But, I have more and more difficulties with ME. New MB don´t support ME, no new drivers for SATA (small speed of reading and writing SATAdiscs), no drivers for NVIDIA graphic cards. I tried XP, Vista and Windows 7 a I´d like to demolish my house with stupid messages and settings of new OS´s.

I´d pay to Microsoft some 150 euros, if they repaire ME or 98SE with letting their original images and not buing Vista or 7...

I have a Patch for Windows ME and 98SE to support SATA Drivers.

http://rloew1.no-ip.com

Edited by rloew

unicorns tend to crash fairly less often.

:P

Sorry but I could not resist it....

Seriously, an OEM disc won't be strictly speaking Legally licensed unless you buy also the hardware.

jaclaz

First :

Windows ME is NOT unstable. It alone depends on a full ACPI compatible mainboard and WDM drivers, whql preferable. So to say if you have a XP comaptible BIOS on your 1999/2000/2001 machine you should have ME as a good option to play with. Me causes trouble on APM only PCs and on such that have no wdm drivers ( especially sound and modem.. -- sound drivers have a direct impact on the Sleep/suspend/hibernate features of ME ). According to Microsoft you must not install WebTV in order to get ACPI to work ! Avoid "Windows 98" drivers at all means. whenever possible search for true Windows ME drivers or as a minimum 98SE ones ( introduced WDM model ).

A Pentium II/III with above 300MhZ is the best environment to let this beast fly. Again my advice : the bare minimum for XP ( P233,128 MB Ram ) is the ideal machine, where XP would be a pain..

also ME deals a lot better with the 512MB memory problem than 98Se . On certain Mainboards you need no patch to allow even 768 or 1023 MB. ( Asrock K7S41GX , SiS based cheap Socket A board tested with 2 * 512 DDR 333 )

For extra stability I highly recommend the inofficial SP for ME, from MDGXs page. For this packs sake alone I use a english ME instead of my german Disk.. german hotfixes for ME have either vanished or were never released.

second :

ME has all the multimedia goodies of XP, including the very same Moviemaker that is dound in XP rtm and XPSP1, best Win9x USB support, the Win2000 TCP/IP stack, the WinXP systemrestore ( yes,it works after the needed hotfix that comes automatically ). and a whole lotta more you wont ever find or make possible on 98SE. For PCs with 128 - 256 MB Ram that struggle with a full patched XP this is a speedy alternate with no loss in functionality. Last year I bought a external DVDRW drive from Phillips which was a pain under 98Se to get it working. In ME I just plugged it in and it was available, same story with external HDDs and thumdrives. that is the main difference in USB support.

Plus, on adequate old or comptible modern hardware you have all the powersaving options of ACPI, and they work like in XP but hibernate/resume is instant and 2-3 times quicker than xp. Ideal for Laptops.

third :

OEM disks are ok and not illegal at all , here in germany MS is forbidden to circumvent selling of OEM disks, you find them in every shop around.

When Vista was released, MS also made official anouncement in US that they support those OEM versions the same way as "FPP" full version when it comes to online updates and patches.

You must not misunderstand "recovery Disks" which are BIOS-locked so they work only on certain mainboards. Such disks are not worth a penny. "OEM" is a hologram/silver disk like the full edition too. Both produced by Microsoft, whereas Recoverys are produced by the hardware oem ( fujitsu,sony,acer.. )-

One more :

The original "full" US edition of ME is NOT BOOTABLE, at least mine is not . For setup I boot the machine with a 98SE CDROm which is bootable.. select "start with CDROM support", fdisk my partitons, format them, change CD to the ME one and type in DOS "setup.exe" and ready.

ME-ready/compatible and "stable" ACPI Systems so far tested by me :

- Fujitsu Siemens Scenic D 815E ( Mini Office PC from 2001, also "XP ready) : P3/256/AGP/ FSB 133 / PCI/USB1.1/Sound on Board ( WDM) / Intel Graphics integrated but mine has a Radeon 9250 in it , half-sized cards only!.

- QDI Kineztech 7B,7E mainboard : FSB 100, AMD Socket A system, AGP,ISA,PCI,Sound on Board (WDM)

- Asrock K7S41GX Mainboard : "modern, designed for XP" : up to 2GB of DDR266/333/400, AMD Socket A, SiS chipset, FSB 133,PCI,AGP, 4x USB 2.0, Sound and Sis Graphics on board ( share Ram up to 128 MB ) : DirectX 7 hardware support,DirectX 9 compatible. Separate AGP card can be used ( Nvidia Geforce Ti 4200 )

IBM thinkpad 600E laptops : ( build around 1999,2000 ) : Pentium 2, 300,366 and 400 MhZ available, up to 512 MB SDRAM ( PC66 and PC100 ), plus 32 MB soldered , so max total 544MB! , Cardbus , Infrared,USB,CDRom/CDRW and lots more - latest IBM BIOS for XP makes ACPI work. Extremely versatile old thing which support every Operating System you can think of and IBm has drivers for Windows 3.11,9x,ME,NT,2000 and XP .. and they do all run well.

IBM Thinkpad 600x : same as 600E, betterGraphics and DVD, but with Pentium III, 500 up to 866 MhZ, FSB 100/133 instead of FSB 66. Uses the cheaper RAMs ( PC133 So-Dimm ). With a bit of tweaking this even rns Vista.

Toshiba Satellite 4300 : Pentium II .. I cannot remember the details - I gave it away because of a annoying fan-noise ( those IBMs are SILENT.. ) - but ME worked like a charme and supported the hardware well.

:-)