Incredibly slow booting how to troubleshoot?

BoardBabe

Download process monitor from sysinternals, run it, click Options > Enable boot logging in procmon, and reboot. Once you've rebooted and the system is finally up, open procmon again and you will be able to see what happened after the reboot, from kernel load to the time you opened procmon.

Hit winkey+r and type msconfig and look under startup. You'll see a crapload of entries under there disable the normal ones like java update scheduler and adobe quick start all of those. Then google the rest or ask here. Once you have all of those disabled reboot.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Compress what log file?

Hit winkey+r and type msconfig and look under startup. You'll see a crapload of entries under there disable the normal ones like java update scheduler and adobe quick start all of those. Then google the rest or ask here. Once you have all of those disabled reboot.

The bootlog from procmon application mentioned above. I click enable bootlog and reboot, then when I open the app after reboot it asks to save/compress logfile, this crashes the application after a couple of minutes.

I have disabled all startup applications and services that i do not need. still there is a tremendous delay after desktop is loaded of anything up to 4 minutes before all is loaded and windows idles (responds for use).

Thats an amazing delay....

Did you do all the other normal stuff?

Memtest?

Defrag?

Checkdisk?

Yes it is. Something is clearly wrong. Defrag of both registry and hdd is done. I am not familiar with memtest and checkdisk. The machine is only a couple of months old.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ <-- memtest. Run this and let it run for a long time. It will tell you if there is a problem with your ram.

As for checkdisk it is the built in windows file and disk checker. Right click on your OS drive and select properties --> tools --> error checking, and select both boxes. It will ask to reboot to do the test, reboot and you will see a DOS type screen during boot that is where the test is automatically run.

Please try checkdisk first. as for memtest some say to let it run for an hour or more but i have always found bad ram within like 15 minutes of it running.

Have you checked the event viewer in computer management?

Go to: Start > Right Click "Computer" and choose "Manage" to open the computer management console. Then under the event viewer check all the windows logs and look for any error around the time you are booting up. There is an incredible amount of info stored there that might help you.