Need a New Graphics Card

computerwizkid

Yea my dad said he'll buy it but he wants a tech professional do it since he is afraid he will mess the pc up.I don't have COD4 yet.I only have CODWAW.I have L4D also.And COD2.

Fair enough but don't pay too much money for installation or you could have used the money to buy COD4 :w00t:

And make sure you install the latest drivers too, as they fix bugs and often make some games run faster.

Here is a huge list of low profile cards, some even go upto 1gig in memory...

I didn't see a 9600 but I saw some **** fine 9400's...

1GB of RAM is a waste, especially on lower end cards (the limit isn't the storage for better textures, it's the GPU itself). Also, the 9400 is MUCH slower than what he already picked. The 9400 (16 stream processors, lol) loses to older cards like the 4550 & 8600GT... It's a very low end card, definitely not one I'd buy even for light gaming. That 4650 is significantly faster than the 9500 even (as much as 50% faster on some benches). I'd say the 9400 is about 1/3 as fast as the 4650 (and only like $10 cheaper). It's only like twice as fast as his existing and grossly underpowered card, whereas the 4650 is like almost 10x faster.

As for faster cards (e.g. the 9600 you were mentioning which can suck up ~100W by itself and is barely faster than the 4650 anyways), they'll just use too much power, requiring a beefier PSU which he won't find in the TFX form factor, hence also require a new PSU *and* a new case, along with his new card. We're not in the $50 price range anymore...

That 4650 was a great pick.

I've been comparing my future gfx card and my current one.The 3450,current,runs at a average of 100watts.The 4650,my future gfx card,runs at around 50watts.So power is not a issue.Athough,people say the 4650 runs very hot.I'm afraid my system will overheat.

I've been comparing my future gfx card and my current one.The 3450,current,runs at a average of 100watts.The 4650,my future gfx card,runs at around 50watts.So power is not a issue.Athough,people say the 4650 runs very hot.I'm afraid my system will overheat.

Wow I did not think that the 3450 would use that much power. Anyway there is no power issues there. It really depends what people think of hot. Some may think anything above 50C at idle is too much etc. The one you looked at seemed to have a half-decent fan on it, and I know many of the ATI HD4xxx cards do run hot but still go strong. I have a friend with an ATI X1650 Pro and the fan on it is smaller than the one you are looking at, and it runs very hot, but he games on it for hours even though he has a low ventilated Acer case. What is the cooling setup like in your PC case? Any case fans or ducts etc? Most Dell's have a very neat interior and are fairly quiet, but do not have much of a cooling setup.

EDIT: Found a photo of the inside of your PC and it looks like there is only the two fans (on the CPU and PSU). It does have a decent side vent and also has rear and front vents but no fans. Really though I don't see a 4650 making a hell of a lot more heat as it has a fan moving air and a 3450 does not have a fan at all and relies on just a heatsink.

Edited by Zenskas

Turns out Dell is shipping this pc with the 4350 now.

Ah well the 4650 will completely destroy the 4350 as it is only a small upgrade from the original 3450 which it shipped with.

Edited by Zenskas

Turns out Dell is shipping this pc with the 4350 now.

If Dell is shipping it, beware - it's likely the cheapest "newer" generation POS they could order in quantities and slap a "4" in the front to fool you into thinking it was good. It's better than a Radeon 9400, of course, but a 3650 or a 4650 will wipe the floor with it. If you are constrained for power and space, however, I guess your choices are already limited.