2 annoyances with WinXP

Aaron

There are 2 annoying things in Windows XP that annoys me at the moment:

A context menu hiding behind the taskbar:

Context Menu

A long list of network folders appearing on the left side panel. I'd rather browse folders by name (after Workgroup tree) than look at a long stretching list of folders (which are possibly no longer shared, or changed): Network Folders - Any possible way of stopping it from doing that?

Aaron, I don't know for sure. But I remember someone telling me that it can be done in a way similar to reconfiguring My Documents to appear last in the tree. It was a registry fix if I remember correctly. I think something like this applies:

To set a default tree and context

Open Client Service NetWare.

Click Default Tree and Context, and then type the tree and context in Tree and Context respectively.

Important

Due to its dependency on the IPX/SPX protocol, Client Service for NetWare is not available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.

Notes

To open Client Service for NetWare, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click CSNW. To use Client Service for NetWare, you must first install it.

You should set a default tree and context only in a Novell Directory Services (NDS) environment. Otherwise, you can set a preferred server.

Just wanted to compliment you about your desktop. Awesome!

MSNwar - The FatMan

MSNWar... thats a bit of a far-fetched solution (installing netware client crap) to prevent windows explorer viewing all the network folders on the folder panel. There must be some simple Windows option that I should disable...

as for the context menu.. dont have such a bloody huge task bar, n00bs do that for some stupid reason, why have a task bar so big it takes half the screen up? tch tch... [/quote:b5b2f7725b]

[b:b5b2f7725b]FthrJACK[/b:b5b2f7725b] - Its not taking up half the screen... its only an extra bar higher than the taskbar at default. (Sometimes I wonder WTF you're on about lol) And the icons in quicklaunch are more easier than having them all stuffed in my start menu. its quicker to launch a program too (hence the name quick launch lol)

[b:b5b2f7725b]Microcalapse[/b:b5b2f7725b] - You are correct. Many ppl ask me how to do that because its a good way of launching programs and looking good at the same time ( /me looks at FthrJACK and waves his :assshake )

hermit, yes. Create 7 folders (put them in a new folder called quick launch folders or something and put it in c: root) and place all your shortcuts in the 7 folders - categorised. then 'add toolbar' pointing to a folder you created, then repeat for the rest of the folders.

The icons... I don't have a volume control there, but this is what I have in the system tray (in correct order left to right):

Vypress Messenger - A LAN Messenger

Epsom Stylus Printer control

Daemon-Tools - mount ISO or any other cd image as a cd-rom drive

DU Meter - monitors my LAN/Dial up speed and usage

does 7 folders/toolbars slow down the machine?[/quote:88958dae0f]

Nope, not at all! You'll see the occasional icons refreshing every 5 hours, and that takes a split-second, you won't notice.

Hmm... nobody has been able to solve my 2 annoyances yet :-(

Here u go AaronXP give this ago, it should diable the auto expanding trees in windows explorer

1) close Windows Explorer if it's running

2) go Start -> Run, then type "regedit"

3) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced

4) Change the value of "FriendlyTree" to 0

5) close regedit, and start up Windows Explorer. Auto-expanding menus are now off

and there is a tweak to keep ur context menu so that it stays above ur taskbar, mine when opened scrolls over the taskbar. as soon as I remember how I got it I will pass it on