Remove Windows Messenger

Aaron

From WinsuperSite's Windows XP Tips

It seems that a lot of people are interested in removing Windows Messenger for some reason, though I strongly recommend against this: In Windows XP, Windows Messenger will be the hub of your connection to the .NET world, and now that this feature is part of Windows, I think we're going to see a lot of .NET Passport-enabled Web sites appearing as well. But if you can't stand the little app, there are a couple of ways to get rid of it, and ensure that it doesn't pop up every time you boot into XP. The best way simply utilizes the previous tip:

If you'd like Windows Messenger to show up in the list of programs you can add and remove from Windows, navigate to C:WINDOWSinf (substituting the correct drive letter for your version of Windows) and open sysoc.inf (see the previous tip for more information about this file). You'll see a line that reads:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

Change this to the following and Windows Messenger will appear in Add or Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows Components, then , and you can remove it for good:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7

winxp_tips_msmgr.gif

• 4 months later...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Here's the fastest way to remove... Windows Messenger.

Copy and paste this into run box

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%INFmsmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Thats It!

Isn't it:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

• 2 years later...

AAron,

Is this information the same for XP H/E SP-2? One added question: How would one go about just disabling MS-Messenger so it will not want to access the web?

Thank you for reading my PosterToaster,

From WinsuperSite's Windows XP Tips

It seems that a lot of people are interested in removing Windows Messenger for some reason, though I strongly recommend against this: In Windows XP, Windows Messenger will be the hub of your connection to the .NET world, and now that this feature is part of Windows, I think we're going to see a lot of .NET Passport-enabled Web sites appearing as well. But if you can't stand the little app, there are a couple of ways to get rid of it, and ensure that it doesn't pop up every time you boot into XP. The best way simply utilizes the previous tip:

If you'd like Windows Messenger to show up in the list of programs you can add and remove from Windows, navigate to C:WINDOWSinf (substituting the correct drive letter for your version of Windows) and open sysoc.inf (see the previous tip for more information about this file). You'll see a line that reads:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

Change this to the following and Windows Messenger will appear in Add or Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows Components, then , and you can remove it for good:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7

winxp_tips_msmgr.gif

• 3 months later...
Here's the fastest way to remove... Windows Messenger.

Copy and paste this into run box

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%INFmsmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Thats It!

Isn't it:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

SONU, YOU ARE RIGHT. IT'S RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dude! What windows messenger are we talking about??? The Windows Messenger appearing with that funny looking icon is NOT the same windows messenger that is used for chatting, IM'ing.

That is totally different.

As you can see from image below, the msmsgs does not refer to Windows Messenger used for instant messenging.

post-25917-1210125758_thumb.png

Edited by spacesurfer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Dude! What windows messenger are we talking about??? The Windows Messenger appearing with that funny looking icon is NOT the same windows messenger that is used for chatting, IM'ing.

That is totally different.

As you can see from image below, the msmsgs does not refer to Windows Messenger used for instant messenging.

~image~

the "funny icon" entry will just remove the shortcuts, not the app.

• 3 months later...

Ok, this thread is old but in here is so extremely much confusion - i have to fix that :)

Ok, first!

Microsoft changed the intention of the Windows Component Wizard or Manager or however its called on your OS :) I experienced this myself! First i was just annoyed about the Windows Messenger (the one with the IE Plugin). Then i thought about building an unattended Setup CD where i use following in my answer file (WINNT.SIF or unattended.txt):

[Components]
msmsgs = Off

This is the correct short name for Windows Messenger! How do i know? Run the setupmgr.exe (you find it in deploy.cab which is in SUPPORT directory on XP CD), create an anwer file only with Windows Messenger disabled and - after the Wizard is finished - check the created answer file. The changed intention of WCW is, that it doesn't install or uninstall software anymore for sure, often it just adds or removes the shotcuts to that application. After i read very carefully the information text regarding Windows Messenger in the WCW i got my proof.

Now you know too ;) But msmsgs is the Windows Messenger but only useable for the shortcuts.

I really don't know if the howto from WinsuperSite's Windows XP Tips is working but cause of this we're coming to next point ;)

Second!

If you want to completely remove Windows Messenger do a Start > Run and enter the following (one line):

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove,5

Everyone of you have his personal "Windows Messenger Uninstall Commandline" saved on your computer (if you didn't removed/uninstalled Windows Messenger already). It's in the Registry at COMING SOON

Edited by an3k