How to install Windows 98 in modern motherboards using more than 1 GB.

cannie

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any possibility to install Windows 98 in a SATA HD ?

IMO if you are really interested in loading Windows 98 you could also check the possibility of installing an ATA/PATA HD. Maybe your motherboard allows it.

HTH

Edited by cannie

• 2 weeks later...
shouldent this be in the Important Topics

as no one will replay and it will go back intill no one sees it

so put it in Important Topics so new win 98 user that dont know how make their systems 1gb and more can see it easy insted

Thank you for your comment.

• 2 weeks later...
shouldent this be in the Important Topics

as no one will replay and it will go back intill no one sees it

so put it in Important Topics so new win 98 user that dont know how make their systems 1gb and more can see it easy insted

It is also important that Windows 98 users know that they have the possibility of installing it using memory up to 4 GB. After a 5 pages search in this thread I've found it here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry858978

IMHO tutorials and information should be kept at easy reach for any forum visitor.

already there (after a fashion) -

1 - Windows 9x Sub-forum

2 - Sticky: Important... (click link inside to...)

3 - "Stickified" list and click on -

4 - Run 9x/ME with > 1 GB RAM

5 - "How to install" tutorial (this topic)

just "follow the yellow brick road"... :blink::wacko:

so, you might say it's already a part of the "important/stickified" topics. :thumbup

just "follow the yellow brick road"... :blink::wacko:

so, you might say it's already a part of the "important/stickified" topics. :thumbup

I didn't notice it. Well, it was my fault: this is a good way.

BTW there's another tutorial which was very useful to me and IMHO it deserves to be included in that "brick road" to avoid being lost:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=118623

I have a Compaq dc7600 which has p4 dual 3.2 Ghz, o/b graphics card and sound card. Can I install Win98 on it?

If you use an ATA HD it is easy. For SATA you may find also a solution in the precedent post of dencorso.

In my own experience I installed it recently after a failure in my SATA HD. I felt tired of reinstalls and replaced it by a new ATA HD.

I had no problems at all with the install process, and after it I used the video generic driver mentioned in the first post of this thread with excellent results.

I use Windows 98 on doubleboot, only for disk and XP maintenance purposes. I find it great because, even when I keep using XP as I always did, the maintenance operations are done in a much easier and faster way from outside.

And having a "second chance" cloned XP to override inmediately any OS failure means a complementary solution, fast and secure. I found the way to do it here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=118623

Edited by seaweed

• 1 month later...
Only two problems are to resolve:

reading and writing from IDE HDD is almost fast like at XP, but writing on SATA HDD is very slow. Copying - frozened PC - copying - frozened PC - copying - frozened PC...

Many softwares don´t work under ME. Motherboard MSI P4M900M2 don´t support ME. I tried installation, but I must add soundcard to PCI port, but there is no slot AGP, only video-regime VGA is disponible...

Your video problems may be solved by using Bearwindows free Universal VESA/VBE Video Display Driver. Read also this thread for more on it: Asus Eee PC and Windows 9x.

Your sata problems require RLoew's (beta) SATA.INF... It's not free, but IMHO it's worth the cost. For more about it, check his site.

Good luck!

I've used Bearwindows free with excellent results. I found it here.

I wonder if it could be possible to find also a valid USB driver for a Gigabyte motherboard.

Thanks.

In case NUSB 3.3 doesn't work for you (but did you give it a try?), you have the Wintricks driver pack (the download link is on page #6) or RLoew's pack (the download link is on the Prerelease and Beta Software page), both free and both derived from the same Lexar drives. And there is the Win 2k USB 2.0 drivers for 9x/ME (direct download). I'd install USB 3.3 and if it gave me grief, just uninstall its (Win ME) USB 2.0 drivers from the Add/Remove software dialog and then add the Win 2k drivers. If that also doesn't work I'd restore a previously saved full system image to remove all traces of this installation and install one of the lexar derived drivers with the Win 2k USB 2.0 stack. Only if even that doesn't work I'd then just use either NUSB 3.3 without the USB 2.0 stack or one of the Lexar derived drivers stand alone. But without a USB 2.0 stack USB is not very useful, is it?

In case NUSB 3.3 doesn't work for you (but did you give it a try?), you have the Wintricks driver pack (the download link is on page #6) or RLoew's pack (the download link is on the Prerelease and Beta Software page), both free and both derived from the same Lexar drives. And there is the Win 2k USB 2.0 drivers for 9x/ME (direct download). I'd install USB 3.3 and if it gave me grief, just uninstall its (Win ME) USB 2.0 drivers from the Add/Remove software dialog and then add the Win 2k drivers. If that also doesn't work I'd restore a previously saved full system image to remove all traces of this installation and install one of the lexar derived drivers with the Win 2k USB 2.0 stack. Only if even that doesn't work I'd then just use either NUSB 3.3 without the USB 2.0 stack or one of the Lexar derived drivers stand alone. But without a USB 2.0 stack USB is not very useful, is it?

Wow!

I'll try all that.

Thank you very much, dencorso.

• 1 month later...