How to install Windows 98 in modern motherboards using more than 1 GB.

cannie

Congratulations! :)

Since you have 2 GiB RAM onboard, as soon as you are satisfied the system is really stable, feel free to submit the needed details by PM to me, and your machine shall be included in the > 1 GiB list. :yes:

True. But many people find that the alternatives do not work for them. LC and the person who E-Mailed me this morning discovered that.

Certain Ethernet and Registry issues are not resolved by the alternatives as well.

"Not all" means that at least one (they are actually more than one, let's call them conventionally "a few") *somehow* managed to get a stable or "stable enough" system even without using your RAM limitation patch.

This latter :thumbup may be the second best thing after ice cream :unsure: , but not - AFAIK - the ONLY way, very possibly a more "universal" solution :thumbup , or if you prefere "best", but by no means "ONLY".

Nothing more, nothing less.

jaclaz

True. But many people find that the alternatives do not work for them. LC and the person who E-Mailed me this morning discovered that.

Certain Ethernet and Registry issues are not resolved by the alternatives as well.

"Not all" means that at least one (they are actually more than one, let's call them conventionally "a few") *somehow* managed to get a stable or "stable enough" system even without using your RAM limitation patch.

This latter :thumbup may be the second best thing after ice cream :unsure: , but not - AFAIK - the ONLY way, very possibly a more "universal" solution :thumbup , or if you prefere "best", but by no means "ONLY".

Nothing more, nothing less.

jaclaz

Since you just love to nitpick. Show me where any of us said it is the ONLY way.

It IS the more "universal" solution.

LC and others have said it is the "best" solution.

For some people, the alternative may be no built-in Ethernet or stripping their Registry.

But it is definitely not the ONLY way. I know of several myself and ice cream isn't one of them.

LC and others have said it is the "best" solution.

And I agree. But my case is interesting because I was able to stabilize my system without the RAM Limitation Patch and optimized the setup long and carefully, before I went on and adopted it. So I am one of the few who can actually compare both results from before and after the RAM Limitation Patch. My conclusion is the Patch makes the system way stabler, and especially so when going above 1.5 GiB. But this is based on the type of hardware I have only, of course.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 2/23/2009 at 2:27 AM, cannie said:

Thank you, dencorso!

BTW, if you include MSBATCH.INF into the folder in which you have copied the Win98 install CD to fasten the install process, I wonder if there is any possibility to save into it your own product key (only for your own use, of course).

If I include the file MSBATCH.INF with the extra lines inside the root folder WIN98, can I automatically install all the extra lines mentioned?

On 2/21/2009 at 7:27 AM, TooMuchFreeTime said:

If you have MSBATCH.INF file in the folder you are installing Windows 98 from you could make following changes to it:

Modify the [install] section to include the following line:

UpdateInis=Edit.Files

And these lines at the end of MSBATCH.INF:

[Edit.Files]

%10%\system.ini,386Enh,,"MaxPhysPage=40000"

%10%\system.ini,vcache,,"MaxFileCache=524288"

This should get you past Windows 98 installation without having to boot to DOS to edit System.ini or without having to remove RAM modules to get past the "Not enough memory" error.

You could also put some other stuff under the [Edit.Files] section... some examples:

%10%\system.ini,386Enh,,"PagingDrive=C:"

%10%\system.ini,386Enh,,"PagingFile=C:\PAGEFILE.SYS"

%10%\system.ini,386Enh,,"MinPagingFileSize=1048576"

%10%\system.ini,386Enh,,"MaxPagingFileSize=1048576"

Forces Windows 98 to create a fixed 1Gt swapfile called PAGEFILE.SYS at the root of C-drive... might be useful when dualbooting with Windows 2000 or XP.

%10%\system.ini,386Enh,,"ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1"

Forces Windows 98 to use up all physical RAM before switching to the slower swap file.

%30%\msdos.sys,Options,,"Logo=0"

Gets rid of the Windows 98 boot logo.

Yep, see Windows 98 Resource Kit "Appendix C Windows 98 INF Files" and "Appendix D Msbatch.inf Parameters for Setup Scripts". Files with an ini-structure are easy, CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT are complicated.

Edited by deomsh
Fuul Appendix titles added