Making full XP Pro 32 setup

wwwoholic

I am trying to make full up to date installation of XP Pro 32 bit. I was led to believe that pretty much everything is supported and this is the matter of simply downloading updates from MS and adding them to NLite. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it does not work this way for me.

WMP11 Slipstreamer is installed.

So, I am beginning with XP Pro SP2 CD.

- adding SP3

- adding IE7, WMP11, .NET 3.5 and DirectX with all the relevant security patches

- removing several components to make this fit on CD

Now, when NLite gets to dotnetfx35.exe there is popup window from .NET installer asking me "Repair or Uninstall" and then "downloading" something from web (I used full install package, what to download?) and then "repairing .NET on this computer" progress bar. Somehow I did not expect this behaviour from slipstreaming...

Next, when its time for directx_nov2008_redist.exe NLite simply tells me "not an expected type of hotfix" and quits.

I would appreciate any help with this.

Last_Session.ini

Double-check this reply/response for accuracy -

XP installs an older version of Net. Net 3.5 (the full install) includes all previous versions, hence the "stall" for a response from the installer. You may have to extract just the Net 3.5 files and use them.

Anyone? Buehler, Buehler?

Net 3.5 installs 2.0 and 3.0, yes. And that's fine with me. However there is no "long stall" as you describe it, which I wouldn't mind. Instead, the pop-up window opens and asks questions, as if I am installing .NET on my local OS, not slipstreaming into some working directory. That's what bothers me.

I might be totally of the mark as you do the same for IE and WMP and it seems to go OK, but it seems you just put dotnet "as is" when you shoud use addons to integrate programs to nLite check the addon subforum for lists of popular addons.

I did put IE and WMP "as is" as well, and everything worked just fine. Just to make sure everything works I did this in several steps. First I added only SP3, then SP3 and IE7, then SP3, IE7 and WMP. I made CD every time and installed it on clean system. Everything worked just fine.

As last step I did SP3, IE7, WMP11, .NET3.5 and DirectX. I expected it work just as well.

Frankly, I don't understand all this add-on stuff. I read the forums and is seems to me they are for non-windows programs or for some specific tweaks of windows components, like for unattended installations. I don't need unattended installation, and don't use non-windows apps. Why do I need add-ons? Also, it is my understanding that add-ons are integrated into setup and run in some kind of post-install mode, basically doing what WinUpdate does. But I don't want that, I want everything slipstreamed and installed as a part of OS installation.

I have a feeling I don't get something here. Would appreciate a link to some explanation what add-ons for and why do I need them for standard windows components.

Edited by wwwoholic

Frankly, I don't understand all this add-on stuff..[].. is seems to me they are for non-windows programs or for some specific tweaks of windows components, like for unattended installations. I don't need unattended installation..[].. I want everything slipstreamed and installed as a part of OS installation.

...[]what's add-ons for and why do I need them[]

I have a feeling I don't get something here.

So do I. I don't see any "non Windows" program in the addon list.

Service Packs and KBs are made to be slipstreamed to Install Files, other Program Installers are meant to install programs on a running OS. You want things integrated in your disc (that's why you use nLite, don't you ?), use addons. This is exactly what you are looking for, ...that's why I mentioned them. Also slipstreaming is kind a bit of "unattended".

I don't see any "non Windows" program in the addon list.
Maybe we are looking in different places. I am clicking at add-ons sub-forum right on the first page of this one. All add-ons there are non-windows, except two called "net fix 2.0" and "net fix 3.0"
Service Packs and KBs are made to be slipstreamed to Install Files, other Program Installers are meant to install programs on a running OS. You want things integrated in your disc (that's why you use nLite, don't you ?), use addons.
I thought I wanted to slipstream everything... after all, even WMP and .NET are KBs, or at least Microsoft names those files like that.
Also slipstreaming is kind a bit of "unattended".
With a big stretch, maybe. In a context of NLite unattended means the process of OS installation, and I don't mind going trough all those standard questions.

Anyway, I stil don't get it. Could you, please, point me to any URL with add-on explanation? Because I hate downloading some obscure "super duper XP add-on" without understanding first. NLite was actually the first program on my PC downloaded from web, everything else was bought and arrived neatly packed on CDs :)

OK, I am giving up...

I just realized one thing - slipstreaming IE7 and WMP11 makes perfect sense, since they replace already packed in IE6 and WMP9. Slipstreaming (or rather integrating) .NET and DirectX does not. I will simply add installations to the CD. This way I would have an option to NOT install them.

Thanks everybody.