Commands for working with Windows PE 3.0 and the new WAIK

paxamime

Microsoft SUCKS!

I just upgraded to the WAIK for Windows 7 RC.

Went through the list of instructions in the help file. (Walkthrough: Create a Custom Windows PE Image)

Got all the way to "Step 2: Mount the Base Windows PE Image"

This command:

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\winpe_x86\mount

Doesn't work any more, because the removed the "/Mount-Wim" switch, with out telling us what the replacement is.

I have work to do, so I'm removing this crap. I'll look at it more later.

This command:

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\winpe_x86\mount

Doesn't work any more, because the removed the "/Mount-Wim" switch, with out telling us what the replacement is.

I've forwarded this along so hopefully it will be fixed in an update.

Did you verify this was a problem? Just want to make sure it wasn't just me that had that problem.

I'm not up to the RC tools yet. We haven't even gotten in any Windows 7 source yet so I'm not too worried right now.

This command:

Mount-wim switch is not removed it's just that boot.wim is not copied to ISO\sources anymore. Just add

copy "%SOURCE%\winpe.wim" "%DEST%\%TEMPL%\sources\boot.wim"

to your copype.cmd before the line wher you mount the image.

C:\winpe_x86>dir /b /s

C:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com

C:\winpe_x86\ISO

C:\winpe_x86\mount

C:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\bootmgr

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\bcd

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\boot.sdi

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\bootfix.bin

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\etfsboot.com

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\fonts

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\fonts\chs_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\fonts\cht_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\fonts\jpn_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\fonts\kor_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI\microsoft

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI\microsoft\boot

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI\microsoft\boot\bcd

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\chs_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\cht_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\jpn_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\kor_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf

C:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

C:\winpe_x86>Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim /index:1

/MountDir:C:\winpe_x86\mount

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.1.7100.0

Error: 87

The mount-wim option is unknown.

For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\winpe_x86>

Edited by Jazkal

Having REAL problems creating my image

This is my command:

rd /s/q C:\PE\winpe_x86

cd c:\Program files\windows aik\tools\petools

call copype.cmd x86 C:\PE\winpe_x86

pause

cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing\

Dism.exe /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\PE\winpe_x86\winpe.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount\

pause

Dism /image:C:PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\WinPE-HTA_en-us.cab

PAUSE

Copy c:\MakePE3\Windows\System32\*.* C:\PE\Winpe_x86\Mount\Windows\System32

Copy c:\MakePE3\Icon\*.* C:\PE\Winpe_x86\ISO

pause

Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Commit

PAUSE

copy c:\PE\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\PE\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

PAUSE

cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\

oscdimg -n -bc:\PE\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\PE\winpe_x86\ISO c:\PE\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

PAUSE

and i get this error:

see attachment

post-12737-1242296043_thumb.jpg

Edited by ner

Many Thanks Jazkal, Its was that problem. Thanks.

Fully created a working version now, although i was unable to install any packages, as it said the package was not able to install for the veriosn?

Anyway, woked for what i needed it to do, which was to install images via Ghost 11.5

Here is my C<D File for anyone that needs it....

RD /s/q C:\PE\winpe_x86

cd "c:\Program files\windows aik\tools\petools"

call copype.cmd x86 C:\PE\winpe_x86

pause

copy c:\PE\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\PE\winpe_x86\ISO\Sources\boot.wim

pause

cd "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing"

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\PE\winpe_x86\ISO\Sources\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount

pause

Dism /image:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\WinPE-HTA_en-us.cab"

Dism /image:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-legacysetup_en-us.CAB"

Dism /image:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-mdac_en-us.CAB"

Dism /image:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-scripting_en-us.cAB"

Dism /image:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-setup_en-us.cAB"

Dism /image:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-wds-tools_en-us.CAB"

Dism /image:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-wmi_en-us.CAB"

Dism /image:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-PPPOE_en-us.CAB"

PAUSE

Copy D:\MakePE3\Windows\System32\*.* C:\PE\Winpe_x86\Mount\Windows\System32

Copy D:\MakePE3\Icon\*.* C:\PE\Winpe_x86\ISO

pause

Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\PE\winpe_x86\mount /Commit

PAUSE

cd "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86"

oscdimg -n -bc:\PE\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\PE\winpe_x86\ISO c:\PE\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

PAUSE

Edited by ner

• 3 months later...

I also had the DISM problem mentioned in this thread: when I ran any DISM command, I got the Error: 87, saying the command option was unknown. Not finding the answer anywhere, I found my own solutions. I deduced that the conflict was in one of two areas: 1) bad wimfltr driver from a previous WAIK installation, and/or 2) bad vhd* drivers from VhdMount from Microsoft Virtual Server 2005.

1) Bad wimfltr? When I uninstalled an earlier version of WAIK, it correctly removed the wimfltr.sys driver, but failed to remove the wimfltr.inf file from %windir%\inf. Either uninstall all earlier versions of WAIK (and reboot), or else delete the leftover solitary wimfltr.inf file.

2) Bad vhd*? I had installed just the VhdMount component from the Microsoft Virtual Server 2005, but then didn't have an entry in Control Panel->Programs to uninstall it later. So, download the free Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 SP1, and again install just the VhdMount component. Now uninstall Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 SP1 and reboot. That should remove the vhdbus and vhdstor drivers from %windir%\inf and from %windir%\system32\drivers.

Obviously, before you ever delete any drivers, make sure you have a recovery solution, like a System Restore checkpoint and a recent backup.

Once I performed both these fixes and rebooted, I was able to install the latest WAIK again, and the Error:87 problem was gone.

I hope this information may be helpful to others. Sande