Free Software List 2009 - 2014

DigeratiPrime

dencorso ... I'm finding the three links all dead or no longer "active" and have been searching on Google for links for UserAssist Spy v1.2.0.0 and v1.2.1.0 ... haven't had any luck yet but I am going to spend more time later today. Just wanted to give you a heads up that the links don't seem to be active anymore ... maybe you have some other links or someone else may have better luck than me. Application looks interesting.

thanks ...

Update: It seems that Javacool's MRU-Blaster may actually clean or delete the User Assist files. I mentioned MRU-Blaster in my earlier post. The company is no longer Javacool, they changed their name just a few months ago.

I found this information on the subject ... from another forum:

"Javacool's MRU Blaster claims to clean User Assist files, which are details of urls retained in two specific Registry keys. I assume that is what you are talking about, rather than index.dat files?. MRUBlaster hasn't been updated for a long time, but I don't think that affects its capabilities. I've been using it for some time on my 98 comp and my User Assist files are either non-existent or empty."

Then I found this entry further down ... "If you use the Helamonster 'User Assist Spy' tool, you can see what is being stored before you try MRU-Blaster. I would be interested to know the result."

I found this in another forum:

J.Smith has written a very elegant little app to clear and lock these files and also

in the "About" box some extra info and advice. User Spy Assist is the application.

The article notes the CLSID's. Search the Registry for them...

{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}

{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}

.... so it seems to be these two registry entries that may be the problem ... If MRU-Blaster does clean everything out then that's another plus for having it on the computer.

Found this at the MRU-Blaster website ....

Securely Erase Browsing Tracks - MRU-Blaster also supports secure removal of Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files (cache) and Cookies, with its built-in Plugins. The Internet Explorer cache alone can take up GB (gigabytes) of space on your hard drive.

... the Plugins are there and have to be activated after installing MRU-Blaster.

Update to the earlier Update:

I found this mention at another forum:

CCleaner, CleanCache and MRUBlaster are just a few of the utilities that can remove UserAssist entries - if you want them to.

Generally you need to configure cleaners for this task because you lose Start menu icons (unless they are pinned) and a lot of users don't like that happening!

------------------------------------------------------

After checking those two registry entries on my computer ... they are both there but both are "empty". Perhaps MRU-Blaster does clean out the entries as stated earlier.

Edited by duffy98

duffy, FYI all three of dencorso's links work for me. Maybe something wrong on your end like a browser extension misbehaving?

EDIT: Ah I guess my crystal ball is working as well, as evidenced by the discussion here.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed that Unlocker v1.9.2 has been released ... dated 05-19-2013 at FileHippo.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/tech/

Unlocker 1.9.2

Requirements: Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows7 / Windows8

License: Freeware

Date added: May 19, 2013

Update ... I don't see much difference in this version over Unlocker v1.9.1 ... there is a toolbar that is in the new version but can be passed over. I don't remember if v1.9.1 had the toolbar, so this might be the only difference in the two versions or maybe there were a few changes in the newer version ... just not sure.

Edited by duffy98

Came across an interesting e-book library management application today while searching for something else. The software is Calibre and it seems to cover everything relating to e-books. I had never heard of it before today, just posting if anyone might also want to check it out. I installed the Calibre Portable version into a folder but the installer version is also there. I always like the portable version of anything with no heavy duty installing. Seems to be a new version from three days ago.

Calibre v0.9.31

http://calibre-ebook.com/

or

MajorGeeks - Calibre v0.9.31

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/calibre.html

Calibre is a one stop solution to all your e-book needs. It is free, open source and cross-platform in design and works well on Linux, OS X and Windows. calibre is meant to be a complete e-library solution and thus includes library management, format conversion, news feeds to ebook conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer.

* Library Management

Calibre manages your e-book collection for you. It is designed around the concept of the logical book, i.e., a single entry in your library that may correspond to actual

e-book files in several formats.

Calibre can sort the books in your library by: Title, Author, Date added, Date published, Size, Rating, Series, etc.

In addition, it supports extra searchable metadata:

o Tags: A flexible system for categorizing your collection however you like

o Comments: A long form entry that you can use for book description, notes, reviews, etc.

You can easily search your book collection for a particular book. Calibre supports searching any and all of the fields mentioned above. You can construct advanced search queries by clicking the helpful "Advanced search" button to the left of the search bar.

You can export arbitrary subsets of your collection to your hard disk arranged in a fully customizable folder structure.

Finally, calibre will even go out onto the internet to find book metadata based on existing title/author or ISBN information. It can download various types of metadata and covers for your books, automatically. The metadata system is written using plugins so that different types of metadata sources can be supported in the future.

* E-book conversion

Calibre can convert from a huge number of formats to a huge number of formats. It supports all the major e-book formats. The full list of formats can be found here.

The conversion engine has lots of powerful features. It can rescale all font sizes, ensuring the output e-book is readable no matter what font sizes the input document uses. It can automatically detect/create book structure, like chapters and Table of Contents. It can insert the book metadata into a "Book Jacket" at the start of the book.

* Syncing to e-book reader devices

Calibre has a modular device driver design that makes adding support for different e-reader devices easy. At the moment, it has support for a large number of devices, the complete list of which is here. Syncing supports updating metadata on the device from metadata in the library and creation of collections on the device based on the tags defined in the library. If a book has more than one format available, calibre automatically chooses the best format when uploading to the device. If none of the formats is suitable, calibre will automatically convert the e-book to a format suitable for the device before sending it.

* Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form

Calibre can automatically fetch news from websites or RSS feeds, format the news into a ebook and upload to a connected device. The ebooks include the full

versions of the articles, not just the summaries. Examples of supported news sites include:

o The New York Times

o The Wall Street Journal

o The Economist

o Time

o Newsweek

o The Guardian

o ESPN

o and many, many more

Calibre has over three hundred news sources and the news system is plugin based, allowing users to easily create and contribute new sources to calibre. As a result the collection of news sources keeps on growing!

If you are interested in adding support for a news site, read the User Manual. Once you have successfully created a new recipe, you can share it with other users by posting it in the calibre forum or sending it to the calibre developers for inclusion in calibre.

* Comprehensive e-book viewer

Calibre has a built-in ebook viewer that can display all the major ebook formats. It has full support for Table of Contents, bookmarks, CSS, a reference mode, printing, searching, copying, customizing the rendering via a user style sheet, embedded fonts, etc.

• 2 months later...

Came across this little flash cookie cleaner a few days ago ... I know that CCleaner and other programs will also clean flash cookies but I like this one since it's a very small and quick cleaner. You can easily check while browsing for any flash cookies and delete them in a second and keep browsing or you can check web sites to see if they are adding flash cookies ... a lot quicker than going to the flash cookie folder to see what's there. It lists "Windows All" but I can't be sure ... it works OK with XP ... no install, just download and use.

Flash Cookies Cleaner 1.2

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Flash-Cookies-Cleaner.shtml

Removes every Flash Cookie from your system.

Flash Cookies Cleaner is a compact application designed to scan your computer for the cookies saved by the Adobe Flash Player application in order to remove them. These cookies, also known as Local Shared Objects, are responsible for remembering the volume level on Flash video players and other settings for each website.

If you are not comfortable with having these settings saved on your computer you might want to delete them. The problem is that these cookies are not removed in the same way you clean the cookies saved by your browser. Actually, completely cleaning the browser has no effect on these items.

Since every Flask cookie can save up to 100 kilobytes of information, the space used for an intensive Internet user can be quite significant. It is recommended to remove them if you want to clean your hard drive and to avoid the privacy issues.

The application has an easy to use interface that allows you to detect and to delete all the cookies with a couple of clicks. You can also review the detected items before deciding to delete them. Unfortunately, you cannot select the items that you want to remove since the app deletes all the detected cookies.

It has a small footprint and barely uses the CPU even when scanning or deleting cookies. The response time is above average since in our tests it detected and removed over eight hundred entries almost instantly.

This app detected more items than the Adobe Website Storage Settings panel and removed them with no problems. However, it lacks the ability to change the maximum disk space for each cookie and to disable the local storage.

Flash Cookies Cleaner is a useful application for the users that want to completely remove the browsing traces from their computer with minimum effort.

... just to add, I run CCleaner frequently when I have the computer on but I never paid too much attention to flash cookies till I started reading more about them in the last month or so and this little cleaner lets me actually see what has been added to the Adobe folder while browsing. I'm not 100% sure CCleaner removes "all" flash cookies, it very well may ... when I have run CCleaner I think there still might have been a folder or something in that Adobe - Macromedia folder but this cleaner seems to remove everything and it's very quick. I have to recheck CCleaner again on removing flash cookies.

Edited by duffy98

• 1 month later...

OSForensics © 2013 PassMark Software @ Sydney.AU http://www.passmark.com/about

DD: Minimum 1GB of RAM (4GB+ recommended) 30MB of free disk space, or can be run from USB drive

OS: Windows XP SP2, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Server 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 (32-bit and 64-bit)

HP: http://www.osforensics.com/osforensics.html

SS: http://www.osforensics.com/screenshots.html

Allround-deep-System-View-and-Work-Tool: OSForensics allows to identify suspicious files

and activity with hash matching, drive signature comparisons, e-mails, memory and binary data.
It lets extract forensic evidence from computers quickly with advanced file searching and indexing

and enables this data to be managed effectively.

See the full comparison list between the editions.
http://www.osforensics.com/compare.html

Free Edition Feature

- Disk imaging
- Install and run from USB
- Mismatched file search
- Hash Set Management
- File name searching
- Search for Deleted Files
- Find passwords & file decryption
- Collect system information
- Rebuild RAID arrays
- Hidden disk areas- Memory viewer and dumper
- Raw disk viewer
- Detect recent activity
- Verify & create hash
- Create and compare signatures
- Drive zeroing & testing
- Volume shadow copies
- Web browser screen capture
- Manage Cases Limited to 3 cases at a time
- Disk indexing and searching Limited to 200,000 files or EMails
- Restore Deleted Files Limited to one file at a time.

Related free tools:
OSFMount http://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html
OSFClone http://www.osforensics.com/tools/create-disk-images.html
ImageUSB http://osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

Other free software http://www.passmark.com/products/index.htm

Edited by e-t-c

• 3 months later...

Anybody looking for a dual-pane file manager might like to check out 2xExplorer. It's an older program from 2002 and works only with Win9x/NT4/2000/Me/XP. I use it on my XP setup and just like the look and feel of it and it's free of course.

2xExplorer v1.4.1.12

2xExplorer is a free, lightweight Norton Commander type (dual-pane) file manager for Win9x/NT4/2000/Me/XP, fully shell-integrated. Easy navigation and loads of tools make it a good replacement for Windows Explorer, for the advanced user and the novice alike.

MAIN FEATURES

* Dual pane layout with extra tree in a dockable pane

* Internal text editor (and RTF/HEX viewer)

* Thumbnail preview pane for images, HTML, office documents

* Lightweight folder synchronization

* Advanced FileFind command

* Automatic building of batch files (e.g. for mass renaming)

* Loads of keyboard shortcuts

* Integrated ZIP file management (for winXP)

* Printing of folder contents and other statistics

* Wildcard-based filters

* Split & merge files

* Create hard links (NTFS)

* Copy pathnames and preview images

* Optional single-click activation

2xExplorer Home Page

http://netez.com/2xExplorer/

There is a newer version called xplorer² but I like the older 2xExplorer version myself.

The download link for 2xExplorer v1.4.1.12 is on the lower right side under Downloads.

AnyBurn © 2011-2013 Power Software Ltd @ CN/US

DD: Dec 2013 - 1 MB (.zip) - Englisch - Portable & Installer Versionen - Freeware
OS: Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8/8.1 or above (32-bit & 64-bit)

HP: http://www.anyburn.com
PP: http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/CD-DVD-Tools/Portable-Free-Any-Burn.shtml

DL: http://www.anyburn.com/download.htm
CL: http://www.anyburn.com/tutorials/history.htm

AnyBurn is a light weight but professional CD / DVD / Blu-ray burning software that every one must have.
It provides a free and complete solution for burning. You needn't pay for this free burn software!

Main Features:
+) Rip Audio CD to MP3, FLAC, APE, WMA files
+) Burn CD / DVD / Blu-ray disc image files
+) Burn files and folders in your hard drive to CD, DVD, or Bluray disc
+) Burn Audio CD which can be played in regular CD player from mp3, ape, flac, wma files
+) Supports multi-session burning
+) Erase rewritable disc
+) Create image files from hard disk files or CD / DVD / BD discs
+) Copy disc (using sector by sector method)
+) Create image file from files and folders
+) Convert disc image files between various formats
+) View drive and disc information

anyburn-sett.jpg

mYiMpression: :)

If you are one that likes to tinker with Windows 8, 7 or Vista then this little portable app may be just for you.

The "System Logo Changer" by AlphaWaves allows you to quickly change your logo on the fly and also restore back to default logo as well.

Enjoy..DP

Thanks DosProbie for the clarification on CCleaner. I didn't think it actually cleaned all flash cookies after searching around in Google, it is supposed to clean some flash cookies but probably not all. I don't depend on it, that's why I was searching around for a good flash cookie cleaner as a separate program ... I like the program that I posted about, when I have Javascript turned off in the K-Meleon browser (or other browsers) many flash cookies can show up in a very short time, sometimes there will be just a few but sometimes there are a lot of "strange" looking things in the view window.

I check frequently with Flash Cookies Cleaner to get everything out while I'm online, I have a shortcut in the Quick Launch section. The maker claims that it removes every Flash Cookie from your system. I can't be 100% about that also ... but it does remove everything in the view window. I feel better that I can easily check for flash cookies and get rid of them.

Was missing my old cabmaker app from XP so I went "Googling" and found this neat little nlite add-on over at Wincert.net,

I just converted it over to a batch installer and tested on Windows 8 x64 and works really well for making cabs on the fly (Win7, Win8/8.1).

Cab_Maker.jpg

Enjoy..

Happy New Year! DP :whistle:

== MRU-Blaster v1.5 ==

Here is another cleaner for your "most recently used" lists on your computer. nothing against CCleaner but it also does not clean out the mru files as well but this little app works as advertised. Tested and working on Windows 8 x64.

Download ==> http://www.brightfort.com/mrublaster.html

Enjoy and happy cleaning..DP :whistle:

Edited by DosProbie

Ultimate Windows Tweaker v 3.0 for Windows 8 and 8.1

2013 Paras Sidhu-The Windows Club and @ http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-3-windows-8

Ultimate Windows Tweaker is a freeware Tweak UI Utility for tweaking and optimizing Windows 8 | 8.1, 32-bit & 64-bit.
Ultimate Windows Tweaker does not require an install. Place the downloaded UWT3 folder in your Program Folder and pin the shortcut of UWT3 exe file to your Start Menu. Simply run its .exe file.
UWT3.jpg
Enjoy! DP :yes:
Edited by DosProbie