VSS services manual/auto etc?

mikesw

I tried to backup VISTA ultimate on a laptop using DriveXML v2.02 that has a feature of

drive to drive copy. The UAC is required to be turned off by DRIVExml else the

list of drives aren't shown. I want to copy VISTA to a larger laptop drive which has already

been partitioned with the first one a simple partition and made active along with being

formatted as NTFS. However, it complains that it can't lock the drive when I use drivexml

for either drive lock or using VSS. I'm not sure if I have to check the box "raw" too.

As a result I forced it to copy without either one, but about 50% of it copied before

it complained about a sector problem and started deleting stuff (unknown what it is deleting.

Perhaps it is the files which are already copied to the new drive).

If anybody has used v2.02 of drivexml on Vista, perhaps you can help.

a). when to use raw mode.

b ). when drivexml complains about not being able to lock, does this mean the drive

that is being copied or the one getting the copy.

c). In XP "MS Shadow Service Provider" and "Volume Shadow Services" are set to manual

and don't show started. Does Drivexml for both XP and VISTA start and stop these services

when a program uses them? Should I change them to automatic which could mean that drivexml

will start/stop them.

d). what can cause forced sector problems? I presume a file on the drive being copied is

locked and when I forced the copy, it can't handle a sector that is locked by the OS being copied

vs having a bad sector on my new drive.

Note: The drive partition size being copied to is 100gigs and the one being copied is 75gigs. So

it shouldn't be a drive sizing problem.

Question: what is mean't by "enable" vss? Is this switching from "disable" to "manual" or "automatic",

or hitting the "start" for the service?

Edited by mikesw

I came across this,

You should make sure that VSSVC.EXE is running in your task manager.

Is it normal for VISTA and XP to come with this already running?

Although my computer has the two VSS services in 'manual' and 'stopped',

when I 'start' these two services, then 'VSSVC.EXE' is shown in the task manager.

Hence, what is considered the normal default mode of these services so that I can

tell if something 'stopped' these services?

VSS is the volume shadow copy service that XP. Vista and 7 use to copy, move and back files that are in use, the service is normally set to a manual launch state and is started when another service or application calls it.

VSS is the volume shadow copy service that XP. Vista and 7 use to copy, move and back files that are in use, the service is normally set to a manual launch state and is started when another service or application calls it.

Well it seems that I must set VSS and the MSoft .... Service Provider to "start" along with making it automatic for DRIVEXML v2.02

to stop complaining that it can't lock the drive. I'd think DriveXML would "start" and change it to "automatic" to work properly

without complaining vs. me doing manually.

Edited by mikesw