Windows 7 - Eariler Than Expected.....

Redhatcc

Ever notice the worst failure(@ the time) is followed by the real WOW?

Nope.

ME was the worst(IMHO anyway), followed by WOW, XP who still lives. Now we have Vista's mass failure, followed by a beta that is getting WOW all around. Win 7 is the next XP. :hello:

Hardly accurate. All win95 and 98 editions were pretty good for their times. Only one truly sucked (ME).

On the NT side, I don't recall one truly sucking either. The only one that comes close is Vista, and even then only as a marketing failure (like cluberti just said). All of them suffered their share of issues at the time of release, which were eventually fixed by service packs.

Your sample size is only 4 (ME, XP, Vista, 7), and you're switching between lines (ME -> XP), and one of those you're counting as a failure is very arguable (Vista). Had you taken more samples, or switched to the NT line at a different point in history, or looked at both series individually, or have a different view on what defines Vista's success i.e. anything but the one specific scenario you picked, then it doesn't hold true.

I was just trying to point out they had to nearly fubar one before they could get one right. Its not always true, nor did I state that, but you are correct also. Windows 7 will be great just like XP(IMO) and it had a stinker right behind it. XP was great and had a stinker right behind it, lol.

On topic, I wish they would release it next month before I rebuild this thing.

<<< as you can see, I am not knocking it before I tried it :P

Edited by accessdenied042

in the list of new good thing in Vista i miss bitlocker, Usb management, ipsec, no more gina, printerpermissions, delta replication of offline files, one offline cache per user, Smartcard based EFS and some more Corp features :)

If MS would have pushed theese parts instead of gui changes, Vista would have been a hit. As they did it, CIO:s heard gui changes=High costs for education of the users=Not interested instead of hearing Faster and more reliable sync and scure data on laptops=Higher production=more money=Happy CEO

You're all forgetting that win98 (pre SE) used to BSOD like crazy.
That's because win9x has a flat-memory model - meaning usermode code can mess with kernel-mode memory (and vice-versa), and there's zero protection. So, unlike an NT-based system, an application with no kernel-level code can crash/BSOD an entire Win9x box with just a simple pointer issue, for instance.

That's the main reason Win9x goes down like a house of cards so often.

Vista Bad Reception By The Public Was Mainly Due To Its Sudden Cliff In Hardware Requirements Which Unlike Flowed In Earlier Versions.

Now We Know What Vista Is Like And Windows 7 Has The Same Requirements Therefore It Will Be Received In A Much Better Way!

Can't Wait For It!

I was ready for Win 7 yesterday. Like any new OS, there'll be glitches, but Win 7 has been the smoothest beta I've tested. I like Win 7 a lot better as a beta, than Vista in it's current form. Vista was/is such a pain, I never bothered to make or use any unattended installs. I've already got my autounattend.xml ready to go for 7--all I need, is Agnitum and the virtual drive folks like DT, and A120 to make their apps compatible. They returned my inquiries as to when they'll be compatible--"When Win 7 goes RTL". UltraIso seems to be the only app to make a virtual drive function on win 7--too bad UltraIso doesn't have some of those needed extra features like those found in A120. As soon as I used the "pin to taskbar" feature, I was hooked. Sometimes, it's the little things that are the biggest surprises. The methods to change icon size within folders is vastly superior to Vista, which has a horrible habit of resetting itself to "auto arrange", and changing icon sizes while it's at it. Minor issue, but very irritating.....come on Win 7--"your public awaits" :whistle:

I love it. Im with ya MageJubi and just can't wait, lol. Installed all my drivers, all my apps work, boots faster. This OS will prob be my last, unless they can make another one just like it or better, lol. I'll stick with this one thru hell and back. Windows 7 RTM, your destiny awaits. (my pc, ROFL)

Edited by accessdenied042

I was ready for Win 7 yesterday. Like any new OS, there'll be glitches, but Win 7 has been the smoothest beta I've tested. I like Win 7 a lot better as a beta, than Vista in it's current form. Vista was/is such a pain, I never bothered to make or use any unattended installs. I've already got my autounattend.xml ready to go for 7--all I need, is Agnitum and the virtual drive folks like DT, and A120 to make their apps compatible. They returned my inquiries as to when they'll be compatible--"When Win 7 goes RTL". UltraIso seems to be the only app to make a virtual drive function on win 7--too bad UltraIso doesn't have some of those needed extra features like those found in A120. As soon as I used the "pin to taskbar" feature, I was hooked. Sometimes, it's the little things that are the biggest surprises. The methods to change icon size within folders is vastly superior to Vista, which has a horrible habit of resetting itself to "auto arrange", and changing icon sizes while it's at it. Minor issue, but very irritating.....come on Win 7--"your public awaits" :whistle:

Sysoft virtual clonedrive and powerISO work on win7 as well.