Windows 7 - Eariler Than Expected.....

Redhatcc

Rumors have been anywhere from July 09 to Jan 10.

The only official date is Q1 2010 and Microsoft has no reason to change that. If they finish early (when do you ever finish an OS anyway? You can keep tweaking forever) they'll release it.

Keep in mind that Windows 7 is coming out with DirectX11 which will require a lot of testing before it comes out.

Right now the beta seems really close to finished but even if it's 99% finished, getting that last 1% could easily be just as much work as the previous 99%.

i was very impressed with the beta they released a month or so back... i didnt investigate it in detail nor did i run it for along time but i put it on a few machines here at work and gave it a run for its money and worked pretty well.

Right now the beta seems really close to finished but even if it's 99% finished, getting that last 1% could easily be just as much work as the previous 99%.

haha that is true

Vista was their biggest failure... it was like a windows ME dejavu all over agian.

Not quite!

ME removed features or hidden them (like real mode DOS). And the only new feature it seemed to bring was system restore, which was useful for re-infecting your PC if you used it...

Vista brought us TONS new new stuff, like a new shell (new explorer, new start menu that doesn't suck, etc), SMB 2.0, desktop composing, the sidebar, aero glass (and thumbnail previews in the taskbar like win7 has, and flip 3d over alt-tab), a great x64 OS, a totally new installer (no more NT 3.1-era installer), a new deployment method (WDS instead of RIS), image-based deployments that are not HAL and language specific, MUI in Windows Update, built-in search, it gave us the same version of IIS than the latest win server (2008) has, some nice new apps (photo gallery, sniping tool, new games, etc), some updates to MCE, DirectX 10, MUCH improved power management (sleep, which acts like a hybrid between S3 and hibernate, and actually works!), the mobility center, some nice new fonts, and TONS more. Nearly 1 out of 4 computers is running it, and many of us are happily using it everyday. Hardly a ME-like failure.

Vista was a big failure, but the fact is that the OS was not. It was perception that killed Vista - well, that and the fact that it really did have serious driver issues until SP1 (also not totally the fault of Microsoft - I'm looking at you specifically, nvidia). If Vista had RTM'ed at the SP1 codebase rather than RTM, things would've been different. Maybe not vastly so, but people wouldn't be comparing it (totally wrongly) to Windows ME.

Ever notice the worst failure(@ the time) is followed by the real WOW? ME was the worst(IMHO anyway), followed by WOW, XP who still lives. Now we have Vista's mass failure, followed by a beta that is getting WOW all around. Win 7 is the next XP. :hello:

Edited by accessdenied042