invalid boot.ini loading from c:\windows

T.N.G.O.G.

Yep. :)

That's meaning that your BOOT.INI is corrupt, or missing. :(

By default the NTLDR, when it cannot find a BOOT.INI (or cannot find a valid entry in it) tries nonetheless to boot the system from the "default" path (hardcoded) C:\windows.

(to be more accurate from directory "windows" on first active primary partition of first hard disk)

Since most probably you have your windows installed as above, the PC boots nonetheless.

If you had used a non-standard install directory (like "\mywin" as an example) that error would have been critical and your PC would have failed booting.

Recreate a "normal" BOOT.INI file on C:\:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

to solve the problem.

FYI:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=25365

Updated link to sysinternals BOOT.INI options list:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963892.aspx

jaclaz

The OP is on Windows 2000 not XP.

His default Windows folder will be C:\WINNT not C:\Windows.

I'm not sure if the "noexecute=optin" switch is relevant on Windows 2000 either.

:)

The OP did not specify which OS is on. :unsure:

I assumed 2003, which defaults to C:\windows, and which is confirmed by the OP report, if his install path isn't c:\windows, system won't boot.

I gave an example I had handy, which was XP related and links to:

• an old post 2K related
  • documentation about BOOT.INI switches

I wasn't clear enough in specifying that the CODE posted was just an example and needed to be adapted to the actual OS switches and text description, sorry. :blushing:

jaclaz

No worries.

I assumed the OP was talking about Windows 2000 as that's what is in his signature.

It wouldn't be Windows XP unless he posted in the wrong forum, but it could indeed be 2003 as you say.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

jaclaz is correct though - if a valid boot.ini isn't found by ntldr, it will attempt to load from the default Windows (or Winnt) folder from the primary partition on the first hard disk enumerated on the IDE (or SCSI) bus. If it doesn't find it, it'll fail - meaning it's likely that whichever version of Windows the OP is using, they've not renamed their Windows folder on install and did install to the first primary partition on the first hard disk, so it works. The OP should still be fixing this (and if it's XP or 2003, that would entail booting the CD to the recovery console and using the fixboot command).

It says windows 2000 to the left guys and to my sig ha.

Anyways, yes i am using w2k, in standard pc mode. I don't remember when this message appear, but everything is working normal, i was wondering can i fix the message?

Also go to my device manager, click on system, then go to advanced, and click on startup and recovery , i get this message:

The C:\boot.ini file can not be opened. Operating System and Timeout settings can not be changed

I did find this :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827180

Seems to be a hotfix out.

That updates the control panel applet, not the error. Yours happens on boot, so this does not apply. I would suggest doing what I mentioned previously - boot with the 2000 CD to the recovery console and run the fixboot command to re-create boot.ini.

Also go to my device manager, click on system, then go to advanced, and click on startup and recovery , i get this message:

The C:\boot.ini file can not be opened. Operating System and Timeout settings can not be changed

Sure, if there is NO boot.ini in your C:\ drive, how do you expect it to be opened? :unsure:

No actual "need" to use fixboot.

BOOT.INI is a plain text file, it may be marked as System and Hidden.

Check the root of your C:\ drive, with options to show hidden and system files checked.

If there is NO BOOT.INI file, create a new one.

The "default" install directory should be C:\WINNT for NT 4.00 and Windows 2000, and C:\Windows for XP and 2003, but it is possible that:

• you are using a later NTLDR on 2K
  • the 2K NTLDR actually "looks" for the OS in C:\WINNT but outputs "invalid boot.ini loading from c:\windows"
  • the NTLDR actually searches for a NT based installed OS in C:\, similarly to what Recovery Console does

(compare with the report about the "no more CATCH 22" trick with RC):

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...20983&st=25

What is your %Systemroot% directory?

• C:\windows
  • C:\WINNT

(choose one)

Open a command prompt and enter in it:

SET SystemRoot

to make sure.

jaclaz