Removing default wallpaper

TedJBrown

I want to remove all the built-in desktop backgrounds (both bmp and jpg) and replace them with my own using the $OEM$... method. I found an option in remove components called "Images and Backgrounds" that seems to be what I'm looking for.

However, when I hover my mouse over the option, it says "Wallpapers and game controller images". Does this mean there won't be any images for game controllers? I want to know what this means.

Also, will wallpapers integrated using the $OEM$ method show up in desktop properties after checking this option?

Thanks in advance.

Game controllers are like playstation controllers, xbox controllers, that you can plug into the pc and use to play video games. I know logitech makes some and there are several others. XP includes pictures of different game controllers.

I'm assuming they're for some kind of setup wizard or examples or something? I doubt you'll ever need them.

Game controllers are like playstation controllers, xbox controllers, that you can plug into the pc and use to play video games. I know logitech makes some and there are several others. XP includes pictures of different game controllers.

I'm assuming they're for some kind of setup wizard or examples or something? I doubt you'll ever need them.

O.K, thanks.

I'll try it with this setting enabled and post whether or not it works.

Well, it worked! The built-in wallpapers are gone and my new, high-res ones are in their place - with one exception: it didn't remove the default Bliss wallpaper. I suppose this is so you'll still have a default wallpaper.

Does anyone know what the correct way to replace this one would be? Can I take one of my own wallpapers, compress it as a cab, save it as BLISS.JP_ and replace the one in the I386 folder? Does anyone know if this would work?

Thanks in advance.

I believe (I may be wrong) they changed that with this latest version of nlite. Using the older version it would remove ALL the wallpapers. I too noticed the bliss still there but to be honest I prefer it like that so I can easily set a default background without having to find one for somebody, and all the others are already deleted.

TedJBrown, I think your idea is a good one - give it a try! Well, just take a .JPG file and convert it to a .JP_ using makecab (not really making a cab). It seems like I have seen the very thing being done. Do some searching, but trying is just about as easy. Enjoy, John.