XP Pro 64-bit and MCE - Is Integration Possible?

Greetings,

A bit of history here. I recently built a new multimedia computer for a client with the following specs:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 65W Dual-Core Processor

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500) - 8GB RAM total

EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card

ZALMAN 750W Modular Heatpipe-Cooled Power Supply

ASUS My Cinema-PHC3-100/NAQ/FM/AV/RC TV Tuner Card PCI Interface

I have installed Vista Home Ultimate 64-bit on it and cannot get past the random blue screens caused by driver issues, all of the drivers are the most current that are available online. The system hardware has been extensively tested and there are no problems there. Everything should work except for the constant BSOD crashes. Needless to say my client is less than happy with his shiny new system and I am losing my butt on this one because of all of the time spent troubleshooting.

I am ready to go back to the "tried and true" with Windows XP. What would be ideal is a Windows XP Pro 64-bit installation with MCE incorporated. The intent is to use it as a multimedia PC. If I go with the standard 32-bit MCE then all but 2.8 GB of RAM is wasted and if I go with Windows XP Pro 64-bit then there is no Media Center functionality.

Is this possible? I did find a couple of posts regarding 64-bit XP with MCE integrated but the posts were several years old (2005-2006) and offered no useful information. I am certainly no stranger to slipstreaming Windows so any useful help at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Peace,

Gail

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up on XP x64 MCE because there are no 64bit drivers available for the eHome infrared receiver and remote. Someone tried a while back to take the Vista 64bit driver a modify it for XP and this did not work. Maybe you should search the net again for such drivers. They could have been improved.

Edited by vinodh