Getting mixed results for no reason

sysadhater

Hi there.

I have been using nLite to create slipstreamed installs of the Windows 2003 editions for awhile:

standard 32 sp2 r2

enterprise 32 sp2 r2

web 32 sp2 r2

-----------------------

standard 64 sp2 r2

enterprise 64 sp2 r2

certain editions do "wacky" stuff that other editions don't do even though i'm slipstreaming the exact same thing into them.

Like for example:

Enterprise 32 bit with all updates slipstreamed including the latest version of WindowsUpdate still makes me install the latest version of WindowsUpdate when I go to updates.microsoft.com the standard and web versions of 32 bit don't. If I add a line into my winnt.sif that runs the *WindowsUpdate-30* update package on that particular one it doesn't ask me to update it but it is an anomaly, and I hate anomalies like that, they drive me crazy.

Another thing is on Enterprise 64 'show the clock' is unticked only for remote desktop. I didn't set it up this way anywhere, it just does it on its own and for some reason the 'Windows Update' Start menu item doesn't work until after I open Internet Explorer 7 for the first time. (I am guessing some registry keys are missing until after IE 7 runs???).

Does anyone know why there are these little anomalies between versions? I am slipstreaming the same drivers/updates into all of the versions (obviously not between x64 and x86).

Thanks,

SYSAD

sysadhater, "wacky" stuff drives me crazy too. With the information provided, I can only suspect that you are running nLite more than once against the same source. Please make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Picking one "wacky", I use Kurt_Aust's great guide for x64 and do not place *WindowsUpdate-30* into the hot fix fix section of nLite. I assume it does no integrate properly. It seems like to me that WUD asks me occasional (on my old host) to install the latest updater when I do a custom scan. This could explain the intermittent nature of your problem. Please chose a single "wacky", attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini and we'll see if we can figure it out. Enjoy, John.

sysadhater, "wacky" stuff drives me crazy too. With the information provided, I can only suspect that you are running nLite more than once against the same source. Please make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Picking one "wacky", I use Kurt_Aust's great guide for x64 and do not place *WindowsUpdate-30* into the hot fix fix section of nLite. I assume it does no integrate properly. It seems like to me that WUD asks me occasional (on my old host) to install the latest updater when I do a custom scan. This could explain the intermittent nature of your problem. Please chose a single "wacky", attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini and we'll see if we can figure it out. Enjoy, John.

John,

Right now my major problem is that when I create my slipstream with Windows 2003 Standard x64 R2 SP2 with all of the updates I notice the following:

Internet Explorer 7 is not set as the default browser (on the 32 bit ss, it is)

The 'Windows Update' icon in the start menu does not work until after I open Internet Explorer for the first time.

I know these are nit-picky things, but I can't really have a bunch of unexplainable things going on behind the scenes on my installs.

Just for your information:

I always use fresh media to do my slipstreams, as my media is already SP2 I don't integrate service packs.

I slipstream my 32bit os on a 32 bit machine and my 64 bit os on my 64 bit machine.

Attached is my config.

Thanks,

SYSAD

nl.txt

John,

Right now my major problem is that when I create my slipstream with Windows 2003 Standard x64 R2 SP2 with all of the updates I notice the following:

Internet Explorer 7 is not set as the default browser (on the 32 bit ss, it is)

The 'Windows Update' icon in the start menu does not work until after I open Internet Explorer for the first time.

I know these are nit-picky things, but I can't really have a bunch of unexplainable things going on behind the scenes on my installs.

Just for your information:

I always use fresh media to do my slipstreams, as my media is already SP2 I don't integrate service packs.

I slipstream my 32bit os on a 32 bit machine and my 64 bit os on my 64 bit machine.

Attached is my config.

Thanks,

SYSAD

I figured out the problem but not the cause, internet explorer doesn't have its file associations until after i run it the first time, which is really odd.

sysad

sysadhater, I think your problem is that your updates are not in order. The updates to IE7 appear before IE7. I'm surprised you don't have "wacky"er results. I am running XP x64, so can't comment on your other Hot Fixes, but all the updates need to be in proper order. It seems to me that the WUD shortcut does not work at first because there is no default browser. After you open IE7 and assign a default, it works. Please get those Hot Fixes in order and let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.