HTML Help Display Problem

Dave-H

I have a problem with .chm help files being displayed in my Windows 98 installation.

All the files display as HTML code instead of displaying properly.

I've been trying to post a screen shot to illustrate the problem, but although I've done it many times before, I can't now find how to upload attachments to the board!

If someone could remind me I'd be very grateful!

Anyway, the basic problem is that the left hand pane displays correctly, with all the tabs present and correct, and it all works, but in the right hand pane all I'm seeing is HTML code, with no formatting or images.

I have tried reinstalling the HTML help files, which all seem to be present and correct, but this makes no difference.

Internet Explorer (IE6 SP1) appears to work fine, but if I try to open a .chm file in IE as a test, it just opens in HTML Help instead, with the same fault.

I assume that is normal behaviour, but why won't the HTML Help browser display files properly?

Anyone any idea what I should be looking for to fix this?

Thanks.

:)

i dont tested on win 98 but you can using this softwarerKZTechs.COM Suitein section System Repair Engineer

or may stoped service and dont work

Thanks for that.

I had a look at the utility you mention, and ran it, but it didn't seem to find anything wrong that's relevant to the problem.

I was a bit apprehensive about a program whose documentation seems to be mainly only in Chinese, but it did seem to work OK, apart from the plugins bit, which I couldn't get to work at all.

Any other ideas?

Everything I've checked out relating to the HTML Help system files and registry entries seems to be perfectly OK, so I am really stumped.

I also tried re-registering the dll and ocx files, but no joy.

:no:

Edited by Dave-H

Thanks for that, I will check it out, but at the moment I'm more interested in getting the normal Windows HTML Help system to work than just finding another way to read .chm files.

I'm worried that the fact that it's not working may be a symptom of a more fundamental problem somewhere!

Well I've tried rolling back to the original Windows 98 version of HTML Help, which made no difference, and I've now gone back to the unofficial version 5.2.3790.309 which is in the latest AutoPatcher.

Still no joy.

I really would like to post a screen grab of this problem, but I still can't find the option to upload attachments to this board!

I have uploaded attachments before, in fact I have nine listed if I go to "manage attachments" in my control panel, but that only gives me the option to delete them, not add more!

I only have a very small amount of my allocation used, so it's not that.

I'm sure that there was an option on the "add reply" screen of the board to upload attachments, but it just isn't there anymore, no matter what browser I try.

Any help appreciated from a moderator or anyone else.

Thanks,

Dave.

Well I've tried rolling back to the original Windows 98 version of HTML Help, which made no difference, and I've now gone back to the unofficial version 5.2.3790.309 which is in the latest AutoPatcher.

Still no joy.

I really would like to post a screen grab of this problem, but I still can't find the option to upload attachments to this board!

I have uploaded attachments before, in fact I have nine listed if I go to "manage attachments" in my control panel, but that only gives me the option to delete them, not add more!

I only have a very small amount of my allocation used, so it's not that.

I'm sure that there was an option on the "add reply" screen of the board to upload attachments, but it just isn't there anymore, no matter what browser I try.

Any help appreciated from a moderator or anyone else.

Thanks,

Dave.

Edit your post: click Edit -> then Full Edit.

Bottom right -> where u see Manage Current Attachments -> click Browse -> point to the directory on your hard disk that contains the file u want to attach -> (double-)click on desired file [or single-click and then click OK] -> click the Upload button.

Click the Submit Modified Post button.

Workaround if this thread/topic has attachments disabled:

Go back to one of your older posts from another topic/thread [or PM me from your PM screen], and then edit it [or send a new PM to MDGx]. Then attach whatever file [see guidelines above], and then copy + paste that attachment code into this post, leaving the other one unmodified.

Just make sure your attachment is smaller than 1.95 MB [which is total allowed attachments limit on MSFN]. ;)

HTH

Thanks so much!

I've now realised that although I've used attachments before, I've never in fact used them in the Windows 98 forum, but mainly in the Windows 2000 forum.

I've just gone back there and tried, and lo and behold, there are the attachment upload options!

The attachment upload facility does not appear to be there in the whole Windows 98 forum, although it is there in the "Windows 9x Member Projects" sub-forum!

The uploading of attachments facility is obviously disabled in the Windows 98 forum.

I have no idea why this should be, and can only assume that it is an error.

Perhaps the mods could look into this, as there is no indication of it anywhere and it had me tearing my hair out trying to work out what was wrong!

I can upload my attachment to one of my existing posts or a new post on a different forum, but not on this one!

I've tried modifying another post in a different forum as you suggested and then transferring the code for the image to this post, but it doesn't work! The image only seems to work on the post that it was originally attached to.

I've even tried putting in a URL link to the image as it appears in my attachments control panel list, but that doesn't work either. I get a message saying "Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed".

So, what do I do now?!

:(

Thanks so much!

I've now realised that although I've used attachments before, I've never in fact used them in the Windows 98 forum, but mainly in the Windows 2000 forum.

I've just gone back there and tried, and lo and behold, there are the attachment upload options!

The attachment upload facility does not appear to be there in the whole Windows 98 forum, although it is there in the "Windows 9x Member Projects" sub-forum!

The uploading of attachments facility is obviously disabled in the Windows 98 forum.

I have no idea why this should be, and can only assume that it is an error.

Perhaps the mods could look into this, as there is no indication of it anywhere and it had me tearing my hair out trying to work out what was wrong!

I can upload my attachment to one of my existing posts or a new post on a different forum, but not on this one!

I've tried modifying another post in a different forum as you suggested and then transferring the code for the image to this post, but it doesn't work! The image only seems to work on the post that it was originally attached to.

I've even tried putting in a URL link to the image as it appears in my attachments control panel list, but that doesn't work either. I get a message saying "Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed".

So, what do I do now?!

Attach your file to a new post in the other topic [where attachments work], and then post here a link to it. ;)

How to post a link to another post:

Click on upper right hand Post #xxx link for the post u want to link to -> copy to clipboard -> paste into other post -> submit.

FYI:

I'll post about this "bug" in the moderators forum.

HTH

OK, I've done that, and here it is!

[Link now deleted - problem has been solved]

I hope the attachments issue is fixed soon.

Please let me know when it is fixed and I can re-do things normally.

Thanks very much for your help MDGx.

:yes:

Anyway, back on topic!

This is what I'm getting whenever I open a chm help file on Windows 98.

I cannot find why.

Can anyone suggest any possible causes?

Thanks,

Dave.

Edited by Dave-H

Screengrab

This is what I'm getting whenever I open a chm help file on Windows 98.

I cannot find why.

Can anyone suggest any possible causes?

Thanks,

Dave.

If you already re-installed unofficial HTML Help:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#HHU

respectively:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/HHUPD.EXE

consider re-installing unofficial MSE 5.6 build 5.6.0.8835 :

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#MSE

respectively:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SCR569X.EXE

If it still doesn't work, you may want to consider re-installing Internet Explorer [5.5 SP2 or 6.0 SP1 are the last ones available]:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#IEX

In principle newer files should not be overwritten by a fresh MS IE 5/6 install.

The only things you may need to re-configure are some of the IE Properties / Advanced / Security to customize them to your needs.

HTH

Fixed!

:thumbup

Thank you so much MDGx.

I tried installing the HTML Help update and Scripting update that you pointed me to, and that made no difference.

In fact I already had later versions installed, HTML Help 5.2.3790.309 Unofficial and Scripting 5.7.0.20550 Unofficial respectively.

I then decided that rather than reinstall IE6 SP1, I would try just running the IE repair option from the tools under MS System Information.

That fixed it.

I then went back to my later versions of Scripting and HTML Help, and all still good.

I guess I'll never know what the problem actually was.

I had no reason to think that it was an Internet Explorer issue, as IE seems to work fine in all other respects.

Very strange.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope the attachments issue is resolved soon.

I will delete the spurious dummy post that I had to put up, and edit the post pointing to it to remove the reference.

Cheers,

Dave.

Fixed!

Thank you so much MDGx.

I tried installing the HTML Help update and Scripting update that you pointed me to, and that made no difference.

In fact I already had later versions installed, HTML Help 5.2.3790.309 Unofficial and Scripting 5.7.0.20550 Unofficial respectively.

I then decided that rather than reinstall IE6 SP1, I would try just running the IE repair option from the tools under MS System Information.

That fixed it.

I then went back to my later versions of Scripting and HTML Help, and all still good.

I guess I'll never know what the problem actually was.

I had no reason to think that it was an Internet Explorer issue, as IE seems to work fine in all other respects.

Very strange.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope the attachments issue is resolved soon.

I will delete the spurious dummy post that I had to put up, and edit the post pointing to it to remove the reference.

Cheers,

Dave.

Glad you solved the problem, the easy way. ;)

I have posted about the attachment bug at the moderators forum, we'll see what happens.

Best wishes.

Problem has been solved, this thread is now closed.