Startup issue

Til

Hi,

I just re-installed my OS on a Dell T5400 (Nlited version with no major removal, only added update pack and drivers), everything ran smooth during the first starts but after installing few missing updates, small apps and .net framework I'm facing a strange issue:

When it starts, the computer pauses for a long time before and especially after the logon screen at "applying computer settings".

More embarassing, the shell is missing, meaning I have no taskbar, desktop icons, etc..

Even after a long wait, nothing happens.

I checked right after startup the processes list and I can see explorer.exe running. If I stop and re-start it, nothing happens.

After looking here and on internet, found similar issues but always linked to malware presence. I cannot say for sure I'm not infected but it seems difficult.. the OS is freshly installed and I'm on a company network.

If you need any more information do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your help.

Til

Hi,

Like I said in my first post, I checked right after startup the processes list and I can see explorer.exe running. If I stop and re-start it, nothing happens.

But I think I found a way to workaround my problem, I redefined the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell. The value was "Explorer.exe" and I changed it for "explorer.exe"

After rebooting, the shell is back but only after that long pause/freeze on the "applying computer settings" window.. which makes me think there's something messed up with the startup.

All ideas to optimize my start up are very welcome.

Thanks again.

Hi Malmal,

Sorry for my late reply. Can you let me know how you ran autoruns as you decribed in your post. I'd like to be able to find the "guilty" processes slowing down my startup.

Thanks

Til

Edited by Til

I think I found the tool you were talking about, now I'm looking throught this list of autoruns but I don't really know where. The "logon" tab I guess. I will keep you in the loop. Thanks for the tip pointing autorunS.

Til

check you Shell setting in the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Shell should be set to: explorer.exe

If it is not you will see the symptoms you describe, explorer will be there but it doesn't paint the desktop.