Seagate Forum - 7200.11 Firmware News - Priceless Admin post

Apologies if this has already been posted/discussed here, but having suffered at the hands of Seagate and their attempt to move into the construction industry using the 'cuda 7200.11 drives as bricks, I was pleased to read that there was finally news on the Seagate forum about the firmware update.

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/messag...amp;thread.id=1

When I read this, I went from utter shock at what the admin had posted...."Small number of drives affected", "Low risk", "Commitment to customer satisfaction" to howling laughter as I read the two "All user Tags" words at the bottom of the post....

...priceless :thumbup

I don't know if it's for real or a joke...but either way, it made me laugh!

There's been about 100 users on here who reported a bad drive. Sure, that's not everyone whose drive failed, but still... 100 users out of hundreds of millions? It's way less than one per million i.e. nothing at all. Seems like a small number indeed. Especially if you compare to any drive that had "real" issues before (e.g. "deathstars", or the old Fujitsus where it's more like 50% affected). Meanwhile, I had 2 WD drives die on me in the last 3 months, and those can't easily be recovered using a RS232 cable -- they're dead for good, no way to get my data back (not even a new controller would work). And there seems to be firmware updates out for most models too, which makes it even less of an issue now. So, way under 1% of drives affected by a firmware bug that's actually fixed, and can be recovered otherwise in 5 minutes? Big deal.

In fact, now I'm thinking I'll be getting a pair of 1.5TB Seagates in the next couple of weeks. Thanks, I wouldn't have risked it if you hadn't pointed this out. You essentially just sold some Seagate drives :lol:

And this topic too:

Look, I understand that you are all upset about perceived or real grievances with Seagate, but this is a technical forum. Please keep your complaining about a third party to a minimum, and if there's no "hardware" value here, out of the Hardware forums and in the General Discussion forums. I've no problem with helping people with Seagate hard drive issues, but if you've just come to complain take it offline, keep it off the forums.

With that said, thread closed.

[Closed].

Closed ;).