Windows 7 Boot Screen for Windows 2000

Colonel O'Neill

Hi everybody! :hello:

I've been working on this bootscreen for a few weeks now to replace the standard Windows 2000 boot screen.

The 2000 animated bar is much more suitable for the glass bar.

I took the glass bar from Vishal's Windows 7 Bootscreen for Vista, which can be found here: Link.

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to extract the actual image from the given Vista files, so I used the screen shot. :ph34r:

Would be awesome to move the progressbar in 2000's NTOSKRNL like in XP's. Anyone know some hex codes to change?

EDIT: Screenshot

-------------------------------------------------

Update: I fixed some dithering artifacts...

Also added a visible progressbar.

I might consider adding a Windows flag logo on it...

-------------------------------------------------

Windows_7_Boot_Screen_for_Windows_2000.zip

Version_2.zip

Edited by Colonel O'Neill

You can start by with a little fiddling around with the palettes on a standard graphics editor with a resource hacker for ntoskrnl.exe. Here is a guide to do it with Paint Shop Pro 7 (you can download an evaluation version of it if you look around)

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/xpbootlogo/

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, it seems theres no better way to dither that gradient bar. :(

Photoshop's diffusion works better sometimes, and pattern is better the other times.

The 16 colour barrier is a real challenge, which is partially remedied in Windows Vista, and completely rebuilt for 7.

So, maybe I'll put in a Windows flag in shiny chrome (meaning grayscale so I don't have to reduce the colors for the glowy bar).

Yes I do know how to reshack NTOSKRNL, but I wanted to move the scrolled region up to the centre, and change the speed of the scrolling. Hoping to stumble upon the right hexcodes I need to change...

• 2 weeks later...