Help! I can't change my XP SP2 Default wallpaper

Hi, I have recently been playing around with nLite in an attemp to try to trim down my XP pro SP2 installation and mainly to make a fully unattended setup, and so far everythings been o.k..........untill now!

I have successfully installed a fully unattended trimmed down version of XP (with the default theme changed to Royale via nLite) but everytime the setup finishes it loads with a blue background instead of the newBliss.bmp that should be loaded with the royale theme. I have tried searching and found this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t78095.html - and the post that 'oneless' posts says

or you can simply SET your custom background :

my file is Windows XP SP2.bmp

i put them in $OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpaper

and run this

;Change the Default Wallpaper to the one you want
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]
"BackupWallpaper"="c:\\windows\\web\\wallpaper\\Windows XP SP2.bmp"
"Wallpaper"="c:\\windows\\web\\wallpaper\\Windows XP SP2.bmp"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"TileWallpaper"="0"
"Wallpaper"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Web\\Wallpaper\\Windows XP SP2.bmp"
"WallpaperStyle"="2"

After i had finished removing everthing that I didnt want from the installation i went through the rest of the nLite wizard but didnt press 'make Image' as i still want to try and set the default background image in the SlimLine_XP folder (the name of the target folder that nLite copied the installation files from my XP disk to) . I have searched in the 'SlimLine_XP' folder and found the $OEM$ folder that is parallel to the i386 folder but there is no \$$\web\wallpaper inside the $OEM$ folder. I might just be being stupid but am i supposed to create the folders and then the setup will know what to do? Im sorry if I'm asking a stupid question but this is my first time posting and its hard to explain my problem without knowing all the techinal know-how

also....

the file will be copied by windows itself in his right place c:\windows\web\wallpaper

in fact all content of $OEM$\$$\ folder will be copied during installation in c:\windows\ (%windir%) folder.

the code is runned by a file named applications.cmd (name it what you want)

at path $OEM$\$1\Install\

and this .cmd file is launched in WINNT.SIF by GUIRunOnce section

the first part makes logical sense but I dont have a \$1 folder or a \install folder and I dont know why? (and one other thing.. GUIRunOnce really confusses me, how does it all work??)

I sorry if i sound really noobie but I have been trying to get my head around this technical jargan 4 days and and I still dont understand it very well, like how are you suppose to edit a reg key for the installation when the reg key doesn't even exist on the xp CD (If you check the link you'll see what i mean) Up untill now I thought I knew what I was doing on computers (you know, basic reformatting and maintaince) but now thats all changed.

Any help would be grately appreciated because at the moment I am down **** creek without a paddle....................... or food :no:

All i do is configure the theme on a machine and save it then specify the theme in the WINNT.SIF

[shell]

CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\your theme name here.theme

Then copy the related files to $OEM$\$$\resources\themes

and it works fine for me.

All i do is configure the theme on a machine and save it then specify the theme in the WINNT.SIF

[shell]

Hi thanks for the quick reply but i still dont understand, how do i edit a theme? i have the royale theme (royale.theme + royale.msstyle + Shell) installed on my laptop (WINDOWS\Resourses\Themes) but i dont know how to edit the file so that a different background is applied?? do i have to have some special software to add the default background to the theme, then save it as a new theme, then load that theme into nLite??

Could you walk me through step-by-step how you configure a theme? i have tried editing in notepad but all seems abit crazy and i dont wanna start playing around and mess everything up.

Oh yea! does anybody know why I dont have all folder that im suppose to have inside the $OEM$ folder?? Any additional help would be great! Thanks to any1 kind enough to help.

Thankyou Kelsenellenelvian I have finially created the theme with everything that i would like on it and saved it to the desktop, I cant believe it was that easy! :) Can I use nLite to intergrate the theme or do I have to do this process

[shell]

Thankyou both 4 all of your help I think i'll try the above and see how it goes, and can I just say I am amazed at how quickly you both replied, I've asked questions in forums before but usually have to wait for a least 3-5days

O.k so I made another nLite project from scratch and integrated the Modified Royale.theme through nLite. after finishing the process I thought I'd also manually change the WINNT.SIF file to

- CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\Modified Royale.theme -

but luckily it had already been changed by nLite so I left it as it was. I then copied the Modified Royale.theme to $OEM$\$$\resources\themes and made the .iso and mounted into a virtual pc and it still installs with a plain darkblue background. Do I have to copy the NewBliss.bmp into the $OEM$\$$\resources\themes folder or the $OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpaper folder? or neither? because I really dont want to keep starting nLite projects from scratch

O.k I just tried adding NewBliss.bmp to $OEM$\$$\resources\themes (same folder as Modified Royale.theme) and then mounted it again n still no difference, I really hope some1 can help me sort this out its so annoying, everything else is perfect just not the Bl**dy Background Wallpaper!! Oh yea and thankyou to every1 who has helped so far :D

Edited by treesmoker08

You have a PM.

As i understand it, wallpaper files should be in the Windows folder, this way they will appear in the list for selection when wanting to choose a wallpaper.

So put your wallpaper files in $OEM$\$$

This is how mine are and it works

Thankyou, Problem Solved! :thumbup

OK! But you can choose the other way to open your theme in first login.

Here are Autoit script:

If WinExists(@ScriptName) Then Exit
AutoItWinSetTitle(@ScriptName)
BlockInput(1)
$theme = "Royale"
$title = "Display Properties"

If FileExists (@WindowsDir & "\Resources\Themes\" & $theme & ".theme") Then
ShellExecute (@WindowsDir & "\Resources\Themes\" & $theme & ".theme")
WinWait ($title,"",10)
If WinExists ($title) Then ControlClick ($title,"",1)
EndIf

Compile this script to exe file and install it to the same directory with your all themes -> %systemroot%\Resources\Themes\

And you can run this script with run.cmd (on first logon)

@echo off

Title Installin Theme...
ECHO.
ECHO Installin Theme
ECHO Please wait :)) (. ) ( .)
color 9F

%systemroot%\Resources\Themes\runtheme.exe
ping -n 3 127.0.0.1 > nul
DEL "%systemroot%\Resources\Themes\*.exe"
Del /F /Q %0

It will Run cmd file (runtheme.exe for example) from Startup folder -> %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

I always using this way and it works without any problems and without any errors!

run.cmd you must install to - >> %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

runtheme.exe you must install to - >> %systemroot%\Resources\Themes\

Sorry for my English.

All the best!

• 1 year later...