Just a clarification w/ installing XP on SATA

Ominous

Besides integrating the drivers or using the floppy, can I use the method wherein SATA is disabled first before the installation. Upon finishing installing XP, I'll install the drivers given by the motherboard manufacturer. Then, I'll enable SATA in the BIOS.

:wacko:

There are multiple guides on the topic available, so yes, it should work that way.

Take a look here and here. SATA and AHCI are interchangeable in this case.

Edit: I assume it may work that way since there are multiple guides out there, but I haven't tried it so..

But slipstreaming the drivers will work.

Edited by DL.

No, it won't work that on XP. The pointers in boot.ini will be all wrong. Install XP in SATA mode (no legacy emulation) but update your installation source first. Use this as a guide.

Edited by Nois3

That's what I did, and it worked.

PS. I presume you mean changing the BIOS settings and not actually swapping controllers around. My BIOS has an option of enabling/disabling SATA native mode on my controller so the drives looks like an IDE drive to Windows.

Edited by Beresford

I am having the same problem. I had to disable SATA before I could get XP installed on the laptop. But whenever I turn it on, the windows wont start until I disable it again.

I did not know that the problem is common and the thread is already existing here... So i created a thread which was transferred to this forum by MODs.. but that was more on Compaq V6000 BIOS vs SATA.

So how do I get my OS to use the functionalities of SATA?? The HP reps were not able to answer either.. they kept me on hold till I disconnected...

In the other thread, a suggestion was given that i need to install SATA support from Command Prompt before installing XP or updating drivers in device Manager.. and they gave me a link for the software for my laptop. But I do not know how to proceed with the installation... Do I move to the folder using the DOS command (CD) and type the name of executable or do I need to do something else to run the softare in DOS mode?

--

Regards,

Arun Kumar

I am having the same problem. I had to disable SATA before I could get XP installed on the laptop. But whenever I turn it on, the windows wont start until I disable it again.

I did not know that the problem is common and the thread is already existing here... So i created a thread which was transferred to this forum by MODs.. but that was more on Compaq V6000 BIOS vs SATA.

So how do I get my OS to use the functionalities of SATA?? The HP reps were not able to answer either.. they kept me on hold till I disconnected...

In the other thread, a suggestion was given that i need to install SATA support from Command Prompt before installing XP or updating drivers in device Manager.. and they gave me a link for the software for my laptop. But I do not know how to proceed with the installation... Do I move to the folder using the DOS command (CD) and type the name of executable or do I need to do something else to run the softare in DOS mode?

--

Regards,

Arun Kumar

It's recommended to add the drivers to your XP CD, using for example BTS's Driverpacks.

Hi All,

I am posting the reply to a similar thread that i created that only I am facing, being new to the forum. But as the thread already exists, I am continuing the discussion here and will request the MODs to delete the other thread. In that thread, I got a link to download nForce SATA drivers and got to understand that the probelm is XP specific and not related to my laptop.

The drivers are chipset specific as the one you referred in the above link is terminating the installation quoting incompatibility issues. However, I managed to find the drivers from the "UPDATE Drivers" option in Device manager. I installed them and turned SATA on in the BIOS. But the OS is restarting again and again saying that Xp encounteres a problem. Eventually I had to disable it.

I also looked for SATA drivers for Intel 945GM Express Chipset throughout the HP site but seems they are not available. There was a tutorial though on how to locate the drivers on your laptop and help XP in recognizing it. It required an installation file for SATA drivers for the said chipset.

The tutorial said that to help XP recognize the drivers, we need to run the XP installer again. And where it asks if we want to setup XP or a third party RAID dirver, we will select the latter option and use a CD that contains the SATA installation Pack. So that would solve the problem for the lucky ones who could find the installer package compatible with their chipsets.

<p>

But in my case, where else can I look for the installer pack of SATA for 945GM express chipset? Let me know if anyone has an Idea.

--

Regards,

DreamSkape