List of INF folder number asignment

BogdanV

Generally, I get my info from the comments left out within such files. Unfortunatly, there are numbers that aren't covered. I tried google-ing for such information but I wasn't able to find much.

Oh and why do I need this info ? Well, I'm trying to modify my ATi X1300's driver to make it work in Win98. I seem to understand the structure of these files and I'm able to learn on-the-fly, but for certainty's sake, I'd really like to know where I can find a list of all the numbers used to designate

Windows's folders (ie. INF folder = 17).

Also, since this is the first time I'm trying to change a driver, are there any resources/advices that I should take into consideration before starting this

project ?

Also, would there be any commands that the driver would try to execute that wouldn't be compatible with win98's kernel (and thus would cancel my efforts) ?

Thank you for your time and thanks in advance!

Hi BogdanV,

The common DestinationDirs IDs can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790174.aspx

You will also find plenty of information there for constructing/editing driver INFs.

However, if you are taking a video driver from a Windows NT-type platform, then you will probably not succeed.

Unfortunately NT-type video drivers use a quite different driver type...

Thanks RetroOS, I hadn't seen that one as yet.

This one is pretty extensive - http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#INF

Third from the bottom, I can recommend WillyPad's help file which is here instead of where MDGx thinks it was last.

For the cheap shot use your own sources - setuplog.txt in your C:\ root folder will have a good list under the [DestinationDirs] section. Another is the [VarLDID.LFN] and [VarLDID.SFN] sections of your setup.inf file in your inf folder. And those are in your registry as well if you will look.

Not all folders have Dirids, but as you would find out in WillyPad's help file you can assign your own custom number and make it work for any folder as you see fit.

If you had to ask the question that you asked, then you probably need help with your project - would you mind telling us which folder you wanted to work with that you need the ID for? And then what was it you wanted to have happen there once your folder got defined?

Speaking from vast experiance, trying to back engineer your own installation package can be quite a lesson sometimes and I find different solutions than what appear in the "guides" sometimes. Often dealing with inf files gets very tricky, very quickly.