How I secure folder in workgroup?

Hello everybody.

I have a network with workgroup in hotel.

In hotel office there are 3 computer. in rooms no comp.

In reception computer I share some folders. When costumer come and connect to the network for net they also can see this folder.

I dont want they see this folder. Only office's 2 computer can see it.

How can I share this folder only for this computer?

What is the folder's name? If XP, then Sharing creates a folder named "Shared Folders" for your local intranet. Is that the one? If not, even so, any Shares must remove "Everyone" as "Read" Permissions and explicitly specify users/groups for what-to and what-not-to share (or "see").

What is the folder's name? If XP, then Sharing creates a folder named "Shared Folders" for your local intranet. Is that the one? If not, even so, any Shares must remove "Everyone" as "Read" Permissions and explicitly specify users/groups for what-to and what-not-to share (or "see").

There are not 1 folder. many folder. and I cant add user or group here? Where can I add it?

1 - The folders that are shared have a "hand" over top of the icon (indicating "Shared"). Right-click on that icon and you'll see some tabs at the top. I suggest you use "Windows Help" (press F1 from the Desktop) and read up on "Sharing".

2 - For "Users and Groups", "Administrative Tools" then "Computer Management"; or right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage". Also read up on this subject. This screen will also show the "Shared Folders" list, among other things.

You now indicate 2003 Server as your Operating System. Is this where all the "Shares" are? Or have they been "scattered" across the other two PC's (what System are they)?

You also don't say how the Intranet/Network (your 3 pc's plus any given Customer) is set up. Router? Network Hub? Wireless? Server acting as Router (2+ NICs, one to Internet Shared + Hubs)? This may make a difference in how you restrict/permit the Shares. It may be possible to do all of this in the Router (I think?). If a Router, read the manual on how to set it up.

You must be an Administrator on the PC's having the Shared Folders and be able to sign on to them to set up the Permissions correctly. When you click on the "Sharing" tab, there will be a box that says "Permissions"; that's where they are set. If you remove the "Everyone, be sure to add "Administrators" group before you do (and set all Permissions checked). Then add and apply the SPECIFIC users (the ones allowed to share across the 3 PC's) to the Shares and their permissions. Also, disable the "Guest" account if not needed. These steps need to be taken on all PC's having "Shares".

READ, READ, READ the MS Help FIRST to make sure you understand what you're doing. Everything you need to know (the basics) is in there.

If you don't have Administrator Rights, then you are not allowed to make these changes. These rights must be granted by your Administrator. If that's you, then you should already have these rights.

HTH

Edited by submix8c